Breaking News
  • April 22Girls varsity lacrosse at Carl Sandburg High School
  • April 22Class of 2024 Prom on April 27
  • April 22CLEAR Workshop on April 26
  • April 22Jazz concert on April 24
  • April 22Cap and gown delivery on April 23
  • April 22Senior awards night on April 25
  • April 15Musical at DGS on April 18, 19, & 20th
  • April 15DGS Principal-Parent Partnership on April 17
  • April 15Culture Week Food Trucks on April 16
  • April 8Mustang Trot on April 14

Mustangs Ground Eagles

Heather Kelly
Senior linebacker RJ Samuel sacks Leyden quarterback James Falco.

On Oct. 6, 2023, the DGS varsity football team (4-3) defeated Leyden (2-5) by a score of 33-14.

This game was the first ever Salute to Service game, where DGS honored members of the community who served in the armed forces and live in the Downers Grove area. This tribute was also accompanied by black and yellow U.S. Army themed jerseys. Senior tackle Josh Manecke, who is committed to the United States Military Academy West Point, shared what the night meant to him.

“I see my future serving my country, and it’s awesome to be able to honor the people who served before, and you know I really think it’s a great thing for this community,” Manecke said.

The Mustangs got the scoring started quickly, a 30-yard rush for senior running back Deon Davis setting up his own two-yard touchdown to put DGS up 7-0 in the first two minutes.

Leyden continued to struggle against DGS, as senior quarterback James Falco was picked off by senior Connor Kelly. This was his second pick in two games. The turnover set up Davis once again, rumbling for a 43-yard score, placing the Mustangs up 14-0 early in the second quarter.

Davis would get his third touchdown of the night, making it 26-0 later on in the third quarter, making this the second game in a row with three touchdown runs for Davis.

DGS got six more points before the end of the second quarter, as senior quarterback Will Potter hurled a 60-yard bomb to senior wide-out Chris Williams.

Junior running back Kayden Smith would be the last Mustang to score, as he put the score at 33-0 late in the third quarter.

Leyden’s 14 points came off two touchdowns in the air, delivered from senior quarterback James Falco to junior wide receiver Larry Smith late in the fourth.

Junior center Jonny Klaeren discussed the Mustang’s win after the game.

“It was a good ole fashioned booty kicking. … Defense was great, getting us three-and-outs and some turnovers. … Overall, we handled ourselves really well,” Klaeren said.

DGS faces off at Proviso East (1-5) this Friday. Proviso East is coming off a 43-8 loss to Willowbrook (5-2), who DGS beat earlier in the year. South is first in the conference and could secure that spot with a win Friday, a Hinsdale South loss, or Willowbrook loss.