Mustangs squash Hornets for the Cannon

Shawn McNamara
Offensive lineman Jonny Klaeren hoists the Rebel Cannon above his head post victory.

On Sept. 29, the DGS varsity football team (3-3) pushed past the Hinsdale South Hornets (2-4) by a score of 29-17 to keep their perfect conference record and retain their first place seat in the West Suburban Gold Conference.

This game was played at Hinsdale South. DGS was able to overcome the Hornets for the third year in a row, earning the cannon again.

The scoring began with a Hornets seven-yard field goal to put them up 3-0, with the Mustangs responding swiftly with running back Deon Davis running to put DGS up 7-3.

Hinsdale South attempted to go down the field to retake the lead, but senior defensive back Connor Kelly gave the Mustangs the ball again via a pick at the end of the first. DGS made their way back to the end zone where Davis ran for 40, then struck for six again with a two yard push.

14-3 was the score until quarterback Nicholas Ockrim slung it 27 yards to wide-out Sam Schuyler. The Mustangs erased the deficit quickly, giving it back to the hot hand of Davis for his third touchdown of the game on a short run, giving him a third touchdown before the half.

After the break, the Mustangs shut down the Hornets, stampeding the offensive line with pressure after pressure, allowing them only seven more points in the game. DGS was able to score nine more points with a field goal and a rushing touchdown from running back Kayden Smith, setting the score at 29-17.

Senior linebacker RJ Samuels commented about what winning the cannon for the third year in a row meant to him.

“It’s a really great thing to do. I get a lot of bragging rights over my friends that go to Hinsdale South cause I’m an Eisenhower [middle school] kid. We split up when we went to high school but we still stay friends. Plus just playing a big role in these last two years means a lot to me too,” Samuels said.

DGS stays undefeated in conference play and moves on to the Leyden Eagles (2-4) who are coming off a close 7-6 win versus Morton (1-5). Senior tight end Max Cherep spoke about what it’s going to take to win this game and close out the year.

“If we win out, we win the conference. … It’s all about preparation this week and just doing what we’re doing,” Cherep said.