The authentic queer experience in High School: Bottoms Movie Review

Melo Medina
These quirky queers show you that it is more than fun to stay at the YMCA.

The teen queer comedy “Bottoms” premiered in theaters Aug. 25, 2023, and has received a plethora of positive reviews, currently sitting at 93% in Rotten Tomatoes. As of Sept. 10 the film has grossed $7.6 million in the US and Canada.

The film directed by Emma Seligman perfectly embodies the humor of today’s teens and executes it in an over exaggerated, yet accurate manner, with a hilarious plot and an almost lovable set of characters. Best friends Pj (Rachel Sennott) and Josie (Ayo Edebiri) form a fight club at school to attract the attention of girls and lose their virginity. They soon find themselves in a bundle of lies that lead to the entire school hating them–even more.

There were so many moments of laughter throughout the movie it was hard to keep quiet in the theater. However the movie was not short of shocking moments where you thought to yourself “did that really happen?” “Did she really say that?” It was certainly a roller coaster of emotions.

For a teen comedy, there is a lot of murder and violence, which is the perfect mixture of topics with such a raunchy flick. Furthermore, this film is not stingy with the blood and stunts. The stunts in this movie are so raw and aggressive yet the funniest parts of the movie.

Despite all the praise, it does have some flaws. Some moments in the movie were fast paced, and I wished they could’ve been more fleshed out because there were instances where some backstory/explanation would’ve been appreciated. We mainly get to know Hazle (Ruby Cruz) and her family life, but aside from that, everything else is left semi-one dimensional.

The acting was very-well directed and performed, along with the over dramatic and ridiculous stereotypes of high school cliques and bullying. The 80’s aesthetic of the film ties the absurd dramatization of the whole high-school experience, since in most 80’s-90’s shows the bullying was portrayed with the same absurdity.

Overall, this movie has a hilarious plot along with amazing effects and stunts. If you aren’t too squeamish about blood and violence, this movie should definitely be in your ‘to watch’ list.

View Comments (2)