Top 10 90’s rom-coms

Gwendolynne Royle

In the 90’s, romantic comedies were in their prime. Let’s rank them to see which is the best of the bunch.

Gwendolynne Royle, Opinions Editor

10: “Never been kissed” (1999)

This movie is beyond adorable; I am a sucker for an undercover-journalist romance movie. The first reason it is in tenth place is that the relationship between Drew Barrymore and her english teacher creeped me out. The second reason that it is so low on the list is the fact that they used the word “baby-faced” in the movie description and that rubs me the wrong way.

9: “4 weddings and a funeral” (1994)

If you ever need to watch a movie where the main characters are absolutely made for each other, watch this one. Hugh Grant is the love of my life and the rest of the movie is almost as perfect as him. It is in ninth place because Andie MacDowell was a miserable, unlikable character and her dialogue was torturous to sit through.

8: “Runaway bride” (1999)

After I finished this movie, I felt as if I had run a marathon. This is one of the most exhilarating movies I have ever seen and the relationship between Julia Roberts and Richard Gere was the definition of a slow burn. It’s in eighth because Julia obviously doesn’t know how to ride a horse and that scene looked a little painful.

7: “Sleepless in Seattle” (1993)

This movie is a real tear-jerker. Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan are absolutely amazing and the plot is adorable. The reason it is in seventh is because I feel terrible for the fiance — the poor guy didn’t deserve that.

6: “My best friend’s wedding” (1997)

Julia Roberts stars in about half of these movies, but it is because she is the best. Again, my biggest problem with the movie is that the fiance did not deserve that. Otherwise, this movie is beautiful and Dermot Mulroney is beyond hunky.

5: “While you were sleeping” (1995)

I am a hopeless romantic and this movie is the reason why. Sandra Bullock being in love with a man she has never spoken to before perfectly embodies the age-old tale of unrequited love. The only issue I have is the amount of second-hand embarrassment I get from it.

4: “Notting Hill” (1999)

Name another couple more iconic than Julia Roberts and Hugh Grant. This movie is the reason I love libraries and high tea. Everything about it is nearly perfect aside from the unrealistic nature of the movie, but then again, what rom-com is realistic?

3: “Pretty woman” (1990)

While the character development in this movie is a little problematic, it is a classic that is hard to pass up. Again, Julia Roberts graces our screen and charms us beyond belief. To not love this movie would be a “Big mistake. Huge.”

2: “Clueless” (1995)

This movie is amazing, but I’m going to overlook the fact that the main character gets with her step-brother. Otherwise, “Clueless” is nearly perfect and I love Cher more than life itself. I quote “As if!” at least five times a day.

1: “10 things I hate about you” (1999)

I don’t have a single bad thing about this movie — it is perfect in every way. It makes me nostalgic for high school and I haven’t even graduated yet. Julia Stiles and Heath Ledger blessed us with this movie and no other rom-com will ever top it.