Jim Mizener, beloved DGS sports announcer and teacher, passes away

Mizener+will+be+remembered+fondly+by+the+many+generations+of+students+he+impacted.+

Alexis Pragides

Mizener will be remembered fondly by the many generations of students he impacted.

On Saturday, Nov. 14, Jim Mizener, beloved sports announcer and teacher at DGS, passed away at the age of 78.

In his teen years, Mizener attended DGN and Lisle High School. Mizener began working at DGS only one year after its opening in 1964, teaching in the industrial technology department for 29 years. In addition to his teaching, Mizener was well-known and well-loved amongst students for his announcing, which he first undertook in 1979, and the tremendous amount of time he spent designing and curating the athletic display cases at DGN and DGS.

While many identify Mizener as the radio-quality voice that flowed through the speakers with thorough updates on the event before him, it is the quieter actions that will define Mizener’s legacy. To put it simply, Mizener was universally known as a man who cared, and that attentiveness underscored his words and actions alike. Known by both students and staff for his immeasurable kindness and unending interest in each person who crossed his path, Mizener will be remembered as a man who always had a firm handshake and a kind word for everyone.

Mizener is survived by his wife Diane and his daughters Becky and Laurie. District 99 intends to celebrate Mizener’s life with a ceremony of some kind once the pandemic ends. Until then, DGS will join Mizener’s family in mourning the loss of a man who meant so much to our community, both inside and beyond the press box.