Prom: The night Disney didn’t make me care about

Me, at home, in a blanket, surrounded by K-Pop posters, not giving a care in the world about prom or really anything else.

Jacqueline Sumida

Jacqueline Sumida, Print Entertainment Editor

Prom, the event all high school students and younger fantasize about since the moment they’re introduced to the Disney Channel. The final dance of my high school career, the chance to look my best and have the night of my life. It’s the moment I should have been dreaming about forever.

However, my actual concern and effort to get ready for prom is at an all-time low.

Some of my friends already have their dresses picked out and delivered, their makeup already set and their entire night already planned out to the T. Me on the other hand, I haven’t thought once about getting a dress or suit or anything. I don’t know what kind of clothing I’ll even be wearing to this thing.

I don’t really understand the concept of getting ready for one event starting half a year before it’s even going to take place. So much can change in that long period of time. Suddenly, your dress won’t fit, your skin reacts badly to the makeup you already arranged for and you even get sick the night of, not being able to even attend the magical prom night you planned for.

I’ll start to get ready maybe a month before. A month is a length of time where I can put everything into perspective and have more control over what will happen, most importantly including my health at that moment. I’m able to work well under pressure and sometimes, there are deals that spring up so close to the event that I will definitely take advantage of.

In my eyes, prom night isn’t a huge deal to me. I’m just going to go to a dance in a possibly really tight dress, hang out with some of my friends for a short period of time, leave after maybe an hour and a half and most likely end up at Culver’s alone.

My friends are all going to look beautiful and for them, I’m really excited. For me, it’s just another dance that no one will ask me to and that I’ll somewhat enjoy.