‘Frozen 2’ ices out its predecessor

Frozen+2+surpassed+the+expectations+of+Disney+fans%2C+becoming+the+best+Frozen+movie+of+all+time+

Ashley Boak

Frozen 2 surpassed the expectations of Disney fans, becoming the best Frozen movie of all time

Lauren Wilmore, Online News Editor

As Disney’s sixth movie to make over 100 million dollars this year, it’s no surprise Frozen 2 surpassed everyone’s expectations. Disney fans sat on the edge of their seats wondering if the sequel to the multiple award winning Frozen could be topped and it was. Disney has outdone itself again through mature themes and comedy that set Frozen 2 above the original movie.

Frozen 2 has been on every Disney fan’s mind for five years, as Frozen came out in 2013. Due to this, the sequel has a larger audience to appeal to than the first movie did, for the fifth graders who are now juniors in high school. This is most likely the reason that the franchise adjusted the theme with the audience, accepting change even when it seems like hope is lost.

Many eyes widened as the main character Anna started singing her song “The Next Right Thing,” curled up in a ball on the ground, after her snowman friend Olaf had flurried away. Specifically when she sung the lyrics “hello darkness I’m ready to sitcom,” my friend and I exchanged a look, surprised at the ominous turn that this movie took. The main message from the song is that change is okay even if it seems hard, which is a relatable lesson for all ages.

This mature theme continues to show through in the major character development for each individual character, which the first movie didn’t have. For instance, Anna and Olaf learning to accept change, Elsa learning to embrace who she is, and Kristoff learning that Anna loves him the way he is. Frozen 2 gives us more insight on each of the characters compared the first movie which mainly focuses on Anna and Elsa.

Some people have said that Frozen 2 didn’t have a main villain and that took away from the story. While it is true that there isn’t a villain like Hans in the first Frozen, I think that strengthens the second movie by setting it apart. This makes the film more realistic, as in everyday life we don’t typically fight a fictional bad guy, which again relates to the more mature audiences viewing this film.

But one of the main reasons I thought this movie was superior is because of its comedic quality, which is something I thought the first movie lacked. Olaf, the snowman in the movie, is the main source of this comedic element and had the whole theater laughing when he started singing “When I’m older.” Also there is a whole song sung by Kristoff, the main character Anna’s love interest, titled “Lost in the Woods” that has an 80’s boy band feel to it that not only made the kids giggle at its ridiculousness but the parents smile as well.

All in all, Frozen 2 surpassed Frozen because of its themes that reach to multiple viewers, it’s in depth development of each character and hilarious songs. While “Some things never change,” your favorite Frozen movie will after viewing this amazing film.