Randi McKay: From the ballpark to Green Bay

From being a freshman, sophomore and now junior on the Varsity softball team, Randi McKay is excited to see what her future at a Division I school, University of Wisconsin Green Bay, has to offer.

“I started softball when I was in first grade and now have been on varsity for all three years of my high school career,” McKay said.

McKay has been on the varsity team since her freshman year and has always been asked to play up in age on her travel team.  

“Something I take a lot of pride in is actually being able to compete with the older girls at a higher level than me but still be in the same skill range. I get along with them really well but it also helps you with meeting new people and forming new friendships. I’ve gotten to know a variety of different people like a lot of upperclassmen and younger levels just through high school and in travel I meet new people that live in different areas,” McKay said.

McKay committed to University of Wisconsin Green Bay as a sophomore on Nov. 21, 2016.

“I committed so early into high school because right away I knew this school was the perfect fit. It is in my favorite state and still in the Midwest. It is also the perfect size for me not being too big or too small,” McKay said.\

Since McKay was only a sophomore when she committed to Green Bay, this has helped her a lot when dealing with junior year.

“It definitely relieved a lot of stress for me especially with taking the ACT or the SAT and filling out all your applications by junior or senior year, I don’t really worry about that as much. I already know I have my school to fall back on and the scholarship waiting for me,” Mckay said.

McKay has learned a lot about herself and the sport through many years of softball.

“I have become more of an open-minded person and have been able to adapt to new things because of all the new lessons that I learn each day through softball…I have learned how to overcome adversity, specifically to softball, size does not matter in this sport. If you’re short it doesn’t automatically mean you’re weak or a bad player,” McKay said.

McKay not only stands out on the field because of her age, but because of her skill level. Head varsity coach Lauren Berg shared her experience when coaching Randi this past season.

“Her versatility as an athlete is something that a lot of coaches look for and something she definitely has. She started her freshman year as a center fielder and then her sophomore year she ended up being in the number one pitching spot and then plays second base as well,” Berg said.

Berg also stated how well McKay does off the field.

“Not only is Randi a great teammate when it comes to playing, but off the field she is a great leader. From being on varsity she brings experience with playing in tough competition which a lot of the younger girl’s can look up to…She really just wants to see her teammates succeed, because if the team is succeeding Randi is succeeding as well,” Berg said.