Breaking News
  • April 22Girls varsity lacrosse at Carl Sandburg High School
  • April 22Class of 2024 Prom on April 27
  • April 22CLEAR Workshop on April 26
  • April 22Jazz concert on April 24
  • April 22Cap and gown delivery on April 23
  • April 22Senior awards night on April 25
  • April 15Musical at DGS on April 18, 19, & 20th
  • April 15DGS Principal-Parent Partnership on April 17
  • April 15Culture Week Food Trucks on April 16
  • April 8Mustang Trot on April 14

All-stars off the mat: Meet two of the DGS varsity wrestling managers

The+wrestling+managers+tackle+many+responsibilities+such+as+taking+inventories%2C+recording+matches+and+sorting+gear.+
Ellery Johnson
The wrestling managers tackle many responsibilities such as taking inventories, recording matches and sorting gear.

When it comes to high school sports, it is not uncommon to focus on the stars of a team. However, there are many different people that add to the functioning and success of a sports team, whatever that sport may be. Meet two of the all-stars off the mat: junior Gianna Cierny and senior Maddie Hahn.

Cierny and Hahn are managers for the DGS boys varsity wrestling team this season. Their jobs as managers include many different tasks and responsibilities that some people may not know about. Special services teacher and wrestling coach Sean Lovelace shared why the managers are an important aspect of the team.

“Their organization and task completion enables coaches to not only have more time to instruct the skills of the sport but it also enables the program to do things that other programs do not. We do a lot of unique things as a program that I do not see many other wrestling programs doing and this is because of the dedicated and capable managers that we do have,” Lovelace said.

Hahn described some of her main responsibilities as a manager throughout the season.

“In the beginning of the season I am in charge of training all the new managers and putting out assignments for what levels they are in charge of. As the season goes on they become more independent and varsity starts to be my only concern. I’m in charge of stats and correct any errors and keep order to the food bins and gear,” Hahn said.

Although there is a lot of work that needs to be done as wrestling managers, there are also a lot of enjoyable aspects of the job. Cierny explained why she enjoys her job as a manager.

“I like being around everyone. It’s a really great community… sort of just having that leadership role too of ‘I’ve got to run this’ and that’s my job, I have to make sure it goes smoothly for them. It sort of gives you that little sense of ‘ooh I’m doing something important for a community that needs help’ so that’s really nice,” Cierny said.

Aside from the work that goes into the team, the managers and wrestlers form a community that work together throughout the season. Hahn shared what the team means to her in an emotional sense.

“All the people I have met along the way have helped hold me to who I am today… I enjoy every high and low I experience with this team. It truly is like a family,” Hahn said.

Hahn has taken on the role of producing media for the wrestling Instagram account: @dgsouthstrong. As the wrestlers continue their season, the management team will continue aiding the team with everything they do.

“They are so important to our program; without them, it simply would not be the same,” Lovelace said.