Trostangs continue to put in work after winning state title

The+Tronstangs+pose+with+their+trophy+at+the+IHSA+state+finals.+
Amy Herion
The Tronstangs pose with their trophy at the IHSA state finals.

Even after earning the state championship title last season, the co-op varsity girls gymnastics team continues to put in work. The Trostangs proceed to value team dynamic and work ethic as tryouts are fast approaching.

DGS junior Genevieve Herion helped lead her team to their victory at the IHSA state championship last season and placed third overall in the finals. Herion is still showing her commitment to the team and gymnastics as a whole.

“I say just keep working hard…don’t give up even when it gets difficult,” Herion said.

The Trostangs practice at Premier Gymnastics’ open gym, where local high school teams can practice and work on skills during their off-season.

“Right now we are at Premier…we are just training a lot and getting new skills,” Herion said.

Herion spoke on how she enjoys working with athletes from both DGS and DGN. Many of her teammates she had already known through her gymnastics gym growing up.

“It’s so cool to meet people from other schools. I also have friends from DGN that I have done gymnastics with since I was little, so it was nice to still be able to do gymnastics with them in high school,” Herion said.

Herion mentioned that although there are pre-existing expectations set from doing so well last season, she doesn’t want those thoughts to affect her and her team’s performance this upcoming season.

“We try not to let it affect us…we just want to be a strong team again this year,” Herion said.

She also reflected on the day the Trostangs had won the state championship. This is the first time girls gymnastics has won the state title in school history.

“It was the best feeling in the entire world…with everything we had accomplished that season, we were just so proud,” Herion said.

Head varsity gymnastics coach Kristyn Campos spoke on the training the Trostangs have been doing to get them ready for the upcoming season.

“The girls train anywhere from 2 to 4 times a week. The girls who were on the varsity team last year train year round,” Campos said.

Campos believes that this year is a fresh start and any pressure felt from being the current state champion is a privilege.

“As a team we will set new goals, with a new group of girls and work to accomplish those. Last year was a wonderful experience, but this year gets to be its own unique ride,” Campos said.

She mentioned that team dynamic plays a role in performance. Her ideal dynamic for the team is having a goal and putting trust in each other.

“I believe that a good team dynamic is created from a shared goal and desire to meet those goals. Each person has to trust the other to work hard and do their best,” Campos said.

Campos showed her appreciation for the Trostangs by sharing her favorite memories of last season.

“There are too many. I just loved being with the girls and seeing them so happy as they accomplished their goals. I especially remember the state meet and the excitement after we finished competing on the balance beam and hitting all five routines,” Campos said.

Tryouts for the co-op Downers Grove girls gymnastics team will be on Nov. 6-8 and held at DGS in the gymnastics balcony.