Gymnastics tumbles into state championship

Courtesy of Life touch

The girls gymnastics team cheers from the podium as they are crowned state champions.

The DGS and DGN girls came together and worked in unity throughout the whole season to take the IHSA state-champion title home to Downers Grove after competing at Palatine High School on Feb. 17-18, scoring a 145.5750. DGS sophomore Genevieve Herion was crowned an all-conference award after placing 3rd overall in the competition, placing in the top ten in all four events scoring a 37.4.

“Overall, our team did amazing, we put our best foot forward and we gave it our all. We worked so hard throughout the season, and being able to go to state together was the most incredible feeling. I’m so thankful for these girls and I’m so happy that all our training paid off at state; standing on the podium with them with our first-place trophy is a feeling I’ll never forget,” Herion said.

Not only did the girls bring home some hardware, head coach Kristyn Campos brought home the Coach of the Year award for the second year in a row as well.

Herion’s best placing event was uneven parallel bars, she embraced all her skills to the fullest; she placed 3rd tying with Libertyville senior Anna Becker, both scoring a 9.3250. She was also only 0.2 points away from the first-place spot of Arlington Heights sophomore Sabrina Nemcek, a 9.5250 score.

“I tried to give my very best out there, and I’m so happy that all our hard work paid off. Going into the meet, I was pretty nervous. But once I got out there and started competing, the nerves went away, and I had so much fun with my teammates,” Herion said.

The Trostangs kicked off the competition on the balance beam. DGS senior Kathryn Snouffer hit her routine placing 7th in this event, scoring a 9.1000. Herion, unfortunately, did not hit her routine to the fullest causing her to place 10th in the event, scoring an 8.6500.

“Competing at state we didn’t face many challenges beyond being the first team up on the balance beam. Starting on a beam can be very nerve-racking and requires a lot of focus to push past those nerves,” head coach Campos said.

The highest score of an individual was Gurnee senior Amanda Hamann scoring a 9.7750 on vault. The Trostangs all hit their vault routines, all getting no less than a 9.0 score. Herion was the only one to place in the top ten; she placed 10th with a 9.3750 score.

“Moving to each event, our energy and confidence grew. We all just had so much fun being out there and competing as a family,” DGN freshman Kaelyn Landry said.

DGS Senior Emily Smetana brought the whole crowd together during her floor routine, she placed 7th with a 9.2000. Herion placed 10th with an 8.6500. The event winner was W. Warrenville South junior Haylie Hinckley with a 9.6500.

“Emily had her best floor routine of the meet at state. She drew the entire crowd to the floor during her performance, and everyone had their eyes on her. It was such a fun and exciting routine to watch,” Trostangs Natalie Marten said.

Overall, the Trostangs won by 0.6 of a point, the Vernon Hills team placed 2nd with a 144.9750 overall score. Only two of the Trostangs placed in the top 30, Herion placing 3rd and Snouffer placing 13th overall.

“Physically we worked to feel confident in our routines and got in a lot of reps. Mentally, we prepared for a new environment and new meet order. It was a combination of having physical and mental toughness that was needed to be successful,” head coach Campos said.