DGS hosts student directed plays March 23-24

Student directors pose for a selfie while at one of their meetings.

Meida Kuzminskas, Graphics/Photo editor

DGS will host its annual student directed one-act plays through March 23-24. Each day the plays will last 7-9 p.m.

Each play is directed by a different student, this year’s selections include: They Fell, directed by Elijah Morton, 10 Billion, directed by Shelby Balsamo, The Mystery of Twicknam Vicarage, directed by Lizzie Workman and The Rising of the Moon, directed by Aylo Tureson.

Senior student director Shelby Balsamo mentions how she manages directing her own one act play.

“Directing for one acts is a lot different than student directing for another play. The teacher director is there if you have questions but you are in charge of your play. You have to cut the script, cast the actors, design the set and build up the actors’ performance,” Balsamo said.

DGS Drama sponsor and English teacher Nathanial Haywood talks about his role as an advisor.

“I serve as a producer for the one acts; the students direct the show. It’s their artistic vision so my job is to help them execute it,” Haywood said.

Balsamo relays her experience in working with other student directors as well.

“The other directors are really sweet and I can’t wait to work with them. We’re all supporting each other as we tackle this big job,” Balsamo said.

Haywood also shared why this year’s line-up of plays is interesting.

“I like the variety, there’s drama, there’s comedy, there’s comedic drama and one that’s almost experiential. There’s interesting diversity in the shows so I’m excited for that.