Trostangs tumble to state

The+Trostangs+will+compete+at+state+Feb.+17+and+Feb.+18.+

Maddie Piotrowski

The Trostangs will compete at state Feb. 17 and Feb. 18.

Caitlin Spindler, Freelance Writer

After becoming sectional and regional champs for the 2022-2023 season, Downers Grove Gymnastics is officially state bound. The girls gymnastics team, a combination of both DGS and DGN athletes, will head to Palatine High school this Friday and Saturday to compete in the IHSA State Finals. They qualified as a whole team, with three of the girls qualifying individually as well.

The girls team is led to State by their longtime Coach Kristyn Campos, who is also a social studies teacher at DGS.

“It is a great feeling to be able to qualify for the state meet and be recognized for the hard work the team put in this season. We are excited to compete one more time as a team,” Campos said.

The gymnastic season started back in November, so the team has had a couple of months to prepare for this momentous moment. Going to state is a big deal for any sport, but the team is especially excited for this meet. Junior Maddie Piotrowski is on the varsity team and this will be her first time going to state.

“I am most excited for the experience as a whole, because I have never gone to state for high school gymnastics before. I’m really looking forward to cheering on my teammates, especially the seniors because it is their last meet ever,” Piotrowski said.

For some girls this is their first time competing at state and for others it’s their last time competing in a high school gymnastics meet ever. The whole team has a really special bond and they all want the best for each other.

“Our team dynamic is full of excitement, we are ready to compete – the girls are doing a great job of supporting each other and working together to do our best,” Campos said.

The road to state is not an easy one though. There is a lot of preparation that needs to be done to perfect their skills for the meet. Gymnastics is not an easy sport by any means, mentally or physically.

“The practice before a big meet we always focus on the mental aspect of competing and really work hard on drills and just making sure we feel as comfortable and confident as possible for the upcoming meet,” Piotrowski said.

Piotrowski and Campos both stress the importance of practice before the big day. Campos has some specifics she wants the girls to work on as well.

“This team is working on staying calm and confident through their routines and getting ready to compete in a new environment,” Campos said.

The girls gymnastics team is prepped and ready to give it their all this weekend at state.