ACE hosts spirit week Feb. 6-10

NB Bandera

Student wears DGS pajama pants for Pajama day to show school spirit.

Meida Kuzminskas, Graphics/photo editor

On Jan. 6-10, Athletes Committed to Excellence (ACE) will host spirit week. Each day will have a dress-up competition and activities during the lunch periods. On the 10th, an assembly will be held where students and staff will compete with each other to earn the Spirit Jug.

Monday is PJ day, students can head to school right as they get out of bed and students can play ‘Name that song’ during their lunch period. Root beer floats will be available for purchase for $4 each, but those who have previously bought a Blue cup for Black History Month from ACE and UMOJA can purchase one at a discounted rate of $2 if they bring their clean blue cup.

Tuesday is twin day where people can dress alike with a friend and play in a ping pong contest during lunch.

Wednesday is tropical day, so students can expect flower leis and grass skirts as well as being able to compete in ‘minute to win it.’

Thursday is anything but a backpack (although whatever students chose to bring must fit near or under their seat during class) and a game of Kahoot!.

Friday is class colors and free popcorn, as well as the spirit assembly. Seniors wear navy, juniors wear columbia blue, sophomores wear gray, freshmen wear white and staff wear black.

If any student would like to play in a competition during the school assembly, they can check their email for an interest form sent by Jennifer Martinez. People should check their email on Wednesday to see if they’ve been selected to compete. Competitions include tug-of-war between grades and staff, Hungry Hungry Hippos, musical chairs, half court shots, a worm race and rock paper scissors.

CTE teacher Douglas Plunkett shares why spirit day is important.

“In a school this big sometimes it’s hard to see school spirit,” Plunkett said.

Ethan Traugott shares his perspective on spirit week as a freshman.

“I’m excited to be in an environment where everyone is excited to wear cool outfits and bring crazy things to act as a backpack,” Traugott said.

Traugott also mentions what day he’s looking forward to.

“Anything but a backpack day because it sounds really fun and I’ve heard that people enjoyed it last year,” Traugott said.