Girls track and field welcomes new coaches

The+three+new+track+coaches+hope+to+continue+the+successful+legacy+of+the+track+program.+

Nora Joy

The three new track coaches hope to continue the successful legacy of the track program.

Abigail Culcasi, Editor-in-Chief

For the 2022-23 season, the girls track team will welcome three new coaches to their program. Brian Long will work with the distance athletes, and Maddie Manganiello and Jaunkeem Finley will work with the jumpers and sprinters.

Long has experience in distance running as both a high school and college track and cross-country athlete. He also has experience coaching cross country, track, volleyball and basketball for both high school and middle school. Long spoke on what influenced his decision to coach track this year.

“I am an assistant cross-country coach for the girl’s team in the fall and there was a track opening, so I thought it would be a valuable experience for me and the girls to coach track this spring,” Long said.

Manganiello is an alumnus, holding school records for her long jump performances. Senior and track team member Nora Joy spoke on how she hopes the new coaches will influence the program.

“I hope the new coaches can contribute to making our jumps and sprints side stronger. We have a lot of talented athletes on our team, and I hope these coaches will yield lots of success under their direction,” Joy said.

Senior Kristina Treibachs competes in sprinting, long jump and triple jump. Treibachs reflected on what she is excited for with the upcoming season.

“I am probably most looking forward to different and hopefully varying sprint drills considering the fact that we have two new coaches. I am excited to see what they will implement into what has been the same for the past three years,” Treibachs said.

Long also spoke on his goals as a coach for the upcoming season.

“My goal is to build relationships with every runner and to get to know the runners as people, not solely as runners. The running program at DGS has a very rich and successful legacy. The culture and traditions of the program align with my coaching philosophy, so I hope to continue to grow and foster what already exists,” Long said.

The track program kicks off their season with their first indoor meet on Feb. 11 at Hinsdale Central High School and hopes that this season they will continue their winning streak with an eighteenth consecutive West Suburban Gold indoor and outdoor conference championship.