Girls bowling rolls into the 2022 season

Senior Julia Frauendorff competes in a match as one of the top players on the team

Khita Cunningham, Sports Editor

Downers Grove South is home to 28 sports, each with their own unique definition of athleticism. Girls bowling brings out the everyday recreational activity into a competitive fight. Under the coaching of Spanish teacher Robert Topor and pe teacher Adam Petersen, the team qualified for sectionals twice and for regionals three times. So what does the beginning of a season look like for the team?

The coaches look for players that are willing to grow in their talents, and have the willingness to improve themselves. Topor shares a little more insight on the tryout process from a coaches perspective.

“Players may stand out for different reasons. Some girls come to DGS with bowling experience and knowledge and others are new to bowling.The other major thing that stands out is when a girl is willing to learn. As a coach we see the most improvement from girls who are open to trying what we are teaching and want to learn, have fun and be part of the team,” Topor said.

Due to the fact that not a lot of people tryout for bowling, they take an unconventional look at tryouts. Senior Julia Frauendorff talks about how it looks.

“Bowling is a no-cut sport, so tryouts are really there to figure out what level of the team everyone will be on,” Frauendorff said.

Frauendorff has been on the varsity team since freshman year. She talks about where her love of the sport came from.

“I grew up living across the street from a bowling alley, and my brother was involved in little kid leagues. It seemed natural for me to join, and I’ve kind of just grown up bowling every week. I didn’t really take it seriously until high school when I joined the team, Frauendorff said.

The joy doesn’t just come from the players though, the coaches push the athletes to be better with the same love of the sport. Petersen explains what inspires him to be a coach.

“I like to pass on a lifelong sport to girls who may not find success in other competitive sports,” Petersen said.

Their next match will be Thurday Dec. 1 against Hinsdale South.