Girls Track and Field Senior Night 2022

Elise+gets+promposal+brought+to+her+outside+the+girls+senior+night.+

Elise gets promposal brought to her outside the girls senior night.

The Downers Grove South girls track team held their senior night Monday, April 25 at 4:30 p.m.
They opened with recognition to all seniors escorted by a friend or family member of choice while having a coach deliver a student-created speech.

Each senior received a white rose as a sign of their commitment to the program. Along with words of recognition of several memories and imprints, they leave with the team. Senior night traditionally brings in larger crowds to our stands being the runner’s families and friends.

Senior Elise D’Aquila shared her unique senior night experience for this year.

“I loved hearing where my teammates were going after high school. I’m so proud and grateful to be a part of a team like this so it was really emotional for me to leave this team. This year’s senior night meant so much to me. I was super happy that we could actually have one, “ Elise said.

D’Aquila’s mom, Mary D’Aquila who works in the building as well, spoke of her senior night experience as a parent.

“As a mom, it was so much fun to watch her race, see her improvements, and the fun she was having being a part of a team. Also [it was fun] to see the other students on the team improve and do well. Watching her on a senior night.” D’Aquila said.

This will be one of the last meets before the conference for the girls. D’Aquila continues.

“I was very proud of her for all her accomplishments and a little sad as she is my last out of four kids going to South, so it was my very last senior night,” she said.

As her mother shared it’s not a typical senior night for the family, Elise shared why for her it may have turned out to be even more special than she had imagined.

“After my name got called, I ended up getting asked to prom. It was the sweetest thing ever and made my entire day. It was the perfect way to end my senior night. I wasn’t expecting that to happen at all, so I was in shock,” Elise said.

Senior night brings out other students to the stands as well as they congratulate and end the accomplishments of the past four years.

“My friends Madolyn, Emily, and Hailey also showed up and surprised me with a poster. I felt super loved, and I will definitely remember it forever. I’m so blessed and lucky to have amazing friends and family in my life,” she said.

Elise explains that as it comes to an end the girls share they will be remembering this time as bittersweet to be saying goodbye but commemorating the memories they have made here in their four years on the track.