Mustangs clutch win over Huskies on senior night

Matthew Passo

Senior midfielder scored two goals and had seven total shots. He also won three ground balls. “You don’t really get many second chances in sports, so taking advantage of the second chance we got was huge for us,” Lambert said.

Claire Valenti, Sports Editor

Running the ball up the field, senior long stick midfielder Zander Johnson juked out an Oak Park River Forest player on the far right of the offensive zone. Johnson slung the ball to DGN junior Josh Lambert who ran the ball up the middle after charging through the two Husky defenders. He fired the ball into the back left corner of the net and broke the tie with 34 seconds left in the fourth quarter.

“I thought it was awesome coming up to it, I [met] Zander; all of us on offense [knew] the look was going to be there. As soon as I got the ball, I walked up to the top, I saw the look was there, took the shot and it went in,” Lambert said.

The varsity boys lacrosse team clutched the win against the Huskies 5-4, redeeming themselves from their last defeat against them, 3-6, and raising their record to 4-5.

“It felt great [to win] especially on senior night; senior night got rescheduled to tonight so it felt good to get redemption,” head coach Shon Zawlocki said. “We only put up three goals last time; [tonight] we almost doubled it. We’re down our leading scorer so some new guys are stepping up; it feels awesome.”

Johnson added a goal and assist to his season total, leading with five total shots and four ground balls won.

“[Oak Park River Forest] was a great opponent to go up against on senior night,” Johnson said. “We lost to them last week ; we didn’t play very well so it felt good to come back and perform at the level we know we can play at. I think a lot of the guys showed up today; they knew we needed to get it done and we got it done.”

Senior defensive midfielder Will Schuessler joined the varsity team his senior year, and won two ground balls.

“The guys are out here trying; we’re trying to make a bigger name for South,” Schuessler said. “I never played lacrosse before [this year] so I just want to go out there, try my hardest and maybe help win some games.”

The Mustangs take on Lyons Township May 5 at 7 p.m. at Lyons Township South Campus.