Mustangs win over Naperville North

Senior+opposite+hitter+Brannen+Almarales+kills+the+ball%2C+sending+it+into+the+court+on+the+close+right+side.+Almarales+had+three+kills+and+three+block+assists.+

Dave Ruggles

Senior opposite hitter Brannen Almarales kills the ball, sending it into the court on the close right side. Almarales had three kills and three block assists.

Claire Valenti, Sports Editor

With serves consistently crashing out of the reach of Naperville North, the varsity boys volleyball team held a dominant lead in the third set, earning the Mustangs the win.

“As [long] as we have six servers on our team being able to hit spots, that’s all we care about,” head coach Kurt Steuer said. “We want to be able to get one option passes on the other team, and be able to set up our defense on our side to be able to play the ball.”

The Mustangs won the game 2-1 (25-20, 21-25, 25-12) to extend their win streak, remaining undefeated this season. Senior outside hitter Matthew Molnar had two service aces and three block assists. Molnar also led the team with five kills.

“We were a little bit shaky in the second set; we had a little bit of cockiness. We underestimated them as well, especially at the beginning; we were down a couple points. I think if we play with a steady, level head throughout a whole game it would be like that third set every time,” Molnar said.

Senior outside hitter Ryan Blazevich served ten times with one service ace and zero service errors. Blazevich also had one kill and four ins, but had five errors.

“After we made an error, we just had to shake it off and bounce back; that’s the most important thing,” Blazevich said. “We obviously didn’t do that too well tonight so moving forward that’s something we have to work on as a team and individually.”

Senior libero Zach Mead had one point assist, and said the team’s working point is to improve communication and passing.

“We sat down and [said] ‘alright, we have to play at our highest level’, and it was a lot about not underestimating them,” Mead said. “In that third set we definitely didn’t; we just kept pounding and pounding them.”

The Mustangs look to continue their win streak on March 25 at 5 p.m. against Chicago-Marist at Eisenhower high school.