Alternative Female Artist you should listen to before women’s history month ends:

Abigail Durkin, Opinions Editor

End Women’s History month strong this year by streaming these underrated alternative female artists.

Faye Webster
She is most known for her song “Kingston” from her “Atlanta Millionaires Club” album. At 16 years old she self-published her own album and since then has released three studio albums, all of her albums fall under the indie and folk genre.

Recommended songs: “Cheers- Recorded Live at Electric Lady” or her 2020 single “In a Good Way.”

Lucy Park
Park, a 22-year-old R&B and Soul singer, received about 5 millions streams on her first track “Rain” in August 2020. She started playing covers on her guitar at Pitzer College and has evolved to releasing three singles from her home in London.

Recommended songs: “On God” from her 2021 album “Before I Speak” and “Brighter Days” from her 2021 single.

Haley Heynderickx
Playing the role of both singer and songwriter Heynderickx released her debut EP, “Fish Eyes,” in 2016 and her first full length album, “I Need to Start a Garden” in March 2018. Her Indie rock tone is inspired by her religious Filipino-American family. She is most known for her song “Oom Sha La La” from her album.

Recommended songs: “The Bug Collector” from 2018 album and “No Face” from her EP.

Amber Mark
A singer, songwriter, and producer released her first mini-album titled “3:33am” in May 2017. Her music finds inspiration from the hip hop, R&B, soul, and bossa nova genres. Since her first mini album she has been nominated for Best Engineered Album at the 61st Annual Grammy Awards.

Recommended songs: “Lose my cool” from “3:33am” and “What it is” from “Three Dimensions Deep,” her 2022 album.

Julia Jacklin
Most known for her song “Someday- (Triple J Like A Version).” Jacklin, a singer-songwriter from Sydney Australia, exudes a musical style that falls under the indie pop, indie folk, and alternative country categories. In her career she has released two studio albums, “Don’t Let the Kids Win” in 2016 and “Crushing” in 2019.

Recommended songs: “Pool Party” from her 2016 album “Don’t let the kids win” and “Pressure To Party” from her 2019 album “Crushing.”

Alice Phoebe Lou
A South African singer/songwriter, is most known for her 2020 single “Witches”. Her music is a combination of neo-folk, synthpop, with clear influences from jazz and blues. Lou has released multiple EP’s and four albums. Her song “She” was used for the 2017 documentary Bombshell: The Hedy Lamarr Story.

Recommended song: “Nostalgia” from 2019 album Paper Castles and 2018 single “She.”

Remi Wolf
A California based funk and hyperpop singer and songwriter, Remi Wolf is most known for her song “Photo ID” from the 2020 album “I’m Allergic to Dogs!” In 2014, as a senior in high school she appeared as a contestant on American Idol in 2014.

Recommended song: “Disco Man” from the 2020 album “I’m Allergic to Dogs!” and her 2021 single “Liz”.

Billie Marten
Discovered at the age of 12 on Youtube, Isabella Sophie Tweddle, who performs under the stage name Billie Marten, is currently working on her third full-length album. As of now her highest streaming song is “La Lune” from the 2016 album “Writing of Blues and Yellows” with over 15 million streams on spotify.

Recommended song: “Mice” from 2019 album “Feeding Seahorse by Hand” and “Milk and Honey” from 2016 album “Writing of Blues and Yellows.”

These are only a few women alternative artists defying odds in a male-dominated genre. They continue to pave the way for more women to make music in this genre. So make sure to listen to their songs on your morning drive to school.