Nugent takes third place at IHSA state wrestling tournament

Heather Kelly

On Feb. 18, senior Jimmy Nugent took third place at the IHSA state wrestling tournament for the 138 pound weight class.

Claire Valenti, Sports Editor

Senior Jimmy Nugent took third place at the IHSA state wrestling tournament at the State Farm Center with a 4-1 record and four pins in the 138 pound weight class.

“After the semis match that I lost, it was definitely hard to bounce back because no one goes to a tournament wanting to take third; you want to go to a tournament to win it,” Nugent said. “It was pretty hard to get myself motivated and bounce back but… if I’m there, I’m not going to go one foot in, I’m going to try, I’m going to compete and that’s what I did.”

“The state medal that I earned doesn’t just come from me, there’s a ton of people who put so much work in with me to get there; it doesn’t happen without that group,” senior Jimmy Nugent said. (Heather Kelly)

Nugent felt the support of his teammates is what made the victory worth it. Senior teammate Will Schuessler was happy to be there for his accomplishment.

“I’ve known how hard he’s worked for it [because] we’ve been teammates for four years,” Schuessler said. “To see him finally accomplish that goal and finally get what he deserves was a great feeling for all of us.”

Going into his final match, Nugent zoned into a “no regrets” mindset after a pep talk from assistant wrestling coach Sean Raddatz.

“I think Jimmy worked really hard to get where he ended up finishing and really had a great run. With the amount of time that he has put in not only during the season but in the offseason, he’s earned it this year,” Raddatz said.

While senior Jimmy Nugent grew up watching his brothers wrestle, he started as a part of the Downers Grove Wrestling Club ran by head wrestling coach Sean Lovelace. (Tony Nugent)

Although Nugent was happy to place third at state, having his teammates there to see it happen is what he was really happy about.

“When [I was] down in the arena and it was packed, I looked up and I could see 20 plus kids from DGS who I’ve been wrestling with all year there to support me. That meant more to me than the medal,” Nugent said.

Nugent started wrestling when he was in fourth grade, following in the footsteps of his brothers who also were a part of the DGS wrestling team.

“[Wrestling] was just something I conformed to, but I liked it so it wasn’t like I was being forced,” Nugent said. “I’ve made so many friends that I would never imagine I’d be friends with, and they’re friends for life.”

Along with success in wrestling, Nugent also has a 3.6 GPA and hopes to continue wrestling into college.

“I know Jimmy has a bright future off the mat, as he does on the mat. He’s done a great job of being a good student, so I think that’s going to carry him well beyond his years on the mat,” Raddatz said.