Mustangs defeated by Proviso East

Sophomore+Richard+Gasmen+dodges+a+Proviso+East+point+guard+to+successfully+score+two+points.+

Kassem Ossman

Sophomore Richard Gasmen dodges a Proviso East point guard to successfully score two points.

Claire Valenti, Sports Editor

Turnovers and lack of blocking cost the varsity boys basketball team their last home game of the season as they fell to Proviso East, 61-71.

After losing sophomore Justin Sveiteris to injury, the varsity boys basketball team had to push to fill his spot, struggling against East’s speed dropping them to 5-15 for the season.

“[Justin’s injury] took another defender and post presence away from us, but one of the [themes] this whole year is we always had to go ‘next man up’ mentality,” head basketball coach Zach Miller said.

Senior Charles Shaw led the team with 14 points and five defensive rebounds.

“It feels good to be one of the main producers, but it’s also a lot of pressure on me,” Shaw said. “I have been trying to improve overall, but we can improve by getting more rebounds, limiting turnovers and being strong with the ball.”

Freshman Daniel Sveiteris scored eight points during the third quarter, making two free throws.

“I played horribly in the first half and was really down on myself,” Sveiteris said. “[My] teammates were the reason why I kept my head up and finished the way I did.”

Senior Nathan Waterman scored eight points with three of the four fouls in the second half.

“I try to emphasize being strong with the ball; ever since the beginning of the year that’s kind of been our thing,” Waterman said. “We try to be strong with it and handle pressure so I think that’s what I was trying to do tonight.”

The Mustangs have their final game of the season Feb. 18 at 7:30 p.m. at Lyons Township North.