Mustangs lose to Morton

Sveiteris

The five starters were freshman Daniel Sveiteris, sophomore Justin Sveiteris, sophomore Will Potter, senior Nathan Waterman and sophomore Richard Gasmen.

Claire Valenti, Sports Editor

Turnovers plagued the varsity boys basketball team all night against Morton as the Mustangs fell 42-59, leaving the team with a 4-14 record on the season.

“[Morton’s] pressure sped us up a little bit; we got a little careless with the ball,” head basketball coach Zach Miller said. “We probably had 25 turnovers, and that’s 25 possessions you don’t get a shot. That’s just not a recipe for success.”

Brothers Daniel and Justin Sveiteris were both starters after Daniel Sveiteris moved up to the varsity team midseason. (Sveiteris)

The Mustangs held a one point lead in the first quarter. Sophomore Justin Sveiteris led the team, scoring 12 points with two blocks.

“To me it doesn’t really matter unless we get a win,” Sveiteris said. “I feel like the most important thing is for us to play as a team, get each other involved and win the game.”

Sophomore Will Potter led the team with four assists and three defensive rebounds, only sitting out after taking a hard hit to block a Morton player.

“My knee was bugging me, so I just got up and walked it out; they got a sub for me,” Potter said. “It was late in the game and we were down by a lot so I knew I wasn’t going back.”

Senior Nathan Waterman scored eight points with three offensive rebounds.

“We obviously just need to play as hard as we can and try to get a win. I don’t really look at the points I just want to get in the win column,” Waterman said. “We have to value each possession and make winning plays.”

The Mustangs take on Leyden on Feb. 12 at 4:30 p.m. at DGS for senior night.