Genes and jerseys: Twin teammates take the court

Senior twins Bella and Gracie Lapacek started playing basketball together and can now end their careers together. Both have been playing basketball since they were in preschool; they stated classes at All-Star sports.

Ava Lafin, Opinions Editor

At the DGS girls basketball game, one player passes to another with obvious synergy; it’s almost like they have twin telepathy. After the curly haired player shoots and scores, the straight haired player with the same face high fives her. Their jerseys have different numbers, but the last names are the same.

Twins Gracie and Bella Lapacek have been playing on DGS’ girls basketball team for four years, three of which the two have played together. Both girls said playing on a team with your sister is different compared to other players.

“Other players may have friends they worry about and who they want to see succeed, and I feel like it’s to a whole new level when your sister’s on the team,” Gracie Lapacek said.

Bella described how the girls are always partners during practices and the way they work during drills.

“We’re pretty much partners for everything. If we ball handle, then we’re together; if we shoot free throws, we’re together, so we’re kind of our go to person because we know that we’re just both going to work hard,” Bella Lapacek said.

Both have been playing basketball since preschool age with All-Star Sports, starting with classes. They played recreational basketball, travel, middle school and now high school together. Their only year they weren’t on the same team was freshman year.

Bella said they motivate each other on and off the court, whether something goes bad or good.

“When she’s on the floor and I’m on the bench and I see her doing something good or she’s working hard then I’m always gonna say something about it. We’re both basically each other’s biggest cheerleaders; if we’re on the floor together we’re always there to high five each other. If there’s something not going right, we’re always there to talk to each other about it,” Bella Lapacek said.

Bella spoke on the environment of practice and how the coaches implement certain ideas.

“We try our best to have some fun but also get work done which is one thing that the coaches do great and the environment is, have fun but get stuff done. You’re putting in the work but it doesn’t seem like work because you want to be there,” Bella Lapacek said.

The varsity girls basketball team has their next game January 22, home at 1:30 vs Proviso East.