Student-athletes pitch their ideas of whether they want to play in college

Hillary Morris

Student-athletes are torn between the decision of playing in college or not.

Athletes these days often begin their careers when they are young; they may switch sports within the years to find their true passion or they are multisport athletes throughout high school. It then comes down to the question of whether they want to take the next step and continue their career at the collegiate level.

Senior Nathan Waterman is a two-sport varsity athlete, playing baseball and basketball. Ever since a young age, he knew he wanted to play baseball in college.

“It was always a topic for me when I was young but I always watched college sports growing up and I always thought I really wanted to do that, I love baseball and pitching and that is really what sold me to play college baseball,” Waterman said.

Junior Emily Petring, a three-sport varsity athlete, is involved in soccer, volleyball and basketball. After scoring 24 goals and having 14 assists during her sophomore season playing for DGS, Petring is looking to pursue soccer at a Division I college after high school ends.

“Ever since I was younger I’ve wanted to play soccer in college, especially since it’s my passion. I am definitely going to play at a high Division I school, [preferably] Big 10,” Petring said.

Student-athletes are already under the pressure of trying to find time to get their school work done while being in season and having other time commitments, such as a job. On top of that stress, they have to go through the recruiting process as well.

“Trying to find the right fit in college can be stressful but I have to look back and think about how blessed I am to have the opportunity,” Waterman said.

Although the recruiting process is stressful for these student-athletes, they are not alone as their coaches provide support and help. Varsity baseball coach, Darren Orel, talks about what he does in order to help and support his athletes.

“I ask them about schools they are interested in for baseball and then reach out to these coaches at those schools. I make suggestions to the players on schools that may be a good fit and also speak with them about the benefits of being a student-athlete,” Orel said.

Whether these student-athletes continue to play in college, the decision does not affect how a coach views them. Varsity girl basketball coach, Lyndsie Long, elucidates the encouragement she gives when a player wants to play in college.

“We don’t push anything on our players to play at the next level. If a player is serious about playing at the next level we then take the time to talk to them further about their decision and talk to them about schools and coaches that they’re interested in,” Long said.

Playing a sport at the collegiate level is definitely not something that is for everyone. Finishing a sports career is a very sentimental feeling and senior Hillary Morris explains why she is better off ending her swimming career once the high school season ends.

“There has come a time where my swimming career has run its course, I’ve achieved everything I have always dreamed of and I’m at a good place with my times … I feel like this is a good place for me to end,” Morris said.

Some student-athletes have goals as little kids such as wanting to play at the college level and partake in their sport like the athletes they watch on TV. While others may decide that they are content with finishing their career during or after high school. This is not an easy decision for these athletes, but they always have support systems backing their decision.