Bring valedictorian back

Maya Homberg

As an academically-motivated perfectionist, I’m here to tell you that pressure and competitiveness is part of being a student, and having a valedictorian isn’t extra stress – it’s a reward.

Maya Homberg, Freelance Writer

Although many schools, including DGS, have an Honor Roll and various other academic awards, one is missing: the title of valedictorian and salutatorian. To rank first or second in your class is one of the highest high school honors one can achieve. Students are being robbed of this honor because of the pressure and competitiveness schools think the title brings.

I’m a student currently taking AP classes; I know pressure. It’s something that leads to many mental breakdowns a week, tears after failing a test, and a great loss of sleep. Students in the running for valedictorian have most likely felt pressure for four – or more – years.

Becoming valedictorian is not their biggest cause of stress, though – passing that unit test is. And at the end of their high school career, the students who have felt pressure and stress and still managed to get a high GPA will feel relieved when it comes time to announce the valedictorian. They will realize that all of their tears and hard work have paid off as they are rewarded with the highest honor.

The kids who face that pressure deserve recognition for all their hard work – the title of valedictorian doesn’t add to pressure; it rewards kids for persevering and coming out on top.

The athlete in me knows competitiveness, too. Winning a race is the most rewarding thing in the world, and becoming valedictorian is like winning. The athlete who puts in the most work is usually the one who wins, and the student who puts in the most work should be recognized by becoming valedictorian.

Adding valedictorian to the list of honors students receive might increase competitiveness, but that means it will also increase the amount of work students put in and will boost students’ work ethics and grades. And don’t get me wrong: just like in sports, there can be a tie. Two – or ten – students can be the valedictorian if they all have equally high grades.

Then there’s the matter of colleges. Having valedictorian on your college applications could greatly increase your chances of being accepted or even get you a scholarship. Class ranks could also be very valuable to know – at a school as big as DGS, being in the top 50 or so of your class is a huge accomplishment that could get you grants or acceptance.

Additionally, class ranks don’t have to be included on college applications, so if it isn’t high, you don’t need to share it. However, it’s very important that the option to use class rank or the title of valedictorian is available if students choose to use it. Valedictorian would surely make colleges want a student more – not only is the title a reward for pressure, but it could boost a student’s career and help them pay for higher education.

Students who truly work hard and get good grades deserve recognition for their hard work. Valedictorian isn’t extra pressure – it’s extra reward.