Presenting the worst presents

Vincent Llanes

It is all too common to receive presents that appear to serve no real use.

Vincent Llanes, Business Manager

Christmas Eve is fast approaching and DGS students and staff are bracing for quite possibly the most exciting time of the year. While Dec. 25th often brings a great deal of excitement and joy, it can also lead to some unexpected letdowns from bad holiday gifts. Some DGS students and staff are all too familiar with some bad batches of presents.

Senior Zach Bergman is no stranger to the prospect of strange Christmas presents. He was surprised

“Last year, I got a set of handkerchiefs and that was pretty bad.” Bergman said.

He believed that the present’s unlikeable quality can be traced back to its rather unclean nature.

“I prefer to use tissues to blow my nose because its nice that you can just dispose them right afterwards and handkerchiefs are just gross and unsanitary.”

Nonetheless, Bergman was still extremely grateful of the thought that went behind the present.

“I was still appreciative of the present because I loved my Grandma and I’m glad that she put effort into my Christmas present.” Bergman said.

Bergman chose to overlook the perceived low quality nature of the present and instead reflects on the intentions surrounding it

Additionally, sophomore volleyball player Haley Hurst has had her fair share of unfortunate Christmas presents. She received a sweater — meant for the other gender.

“The worst Christmas present that I’ve ever gotten was probably one that I was gifted, because it was a sweater that was from the males section.”

Hurst was not disappointed by the actual quality of the gift; rather, she was more confused on how she would actually utilize the present.

“It was something I would never usually wear so it just kind of surprised me to get [the sweater].” Hurst said.

She emphasizes her gratitude for receiving the sweater regardless. She appreciates the time and attention even strange gifts like this demand.

“I was still appreciative of this present because if anyone gives me a gift, I’m grateful because I know they care for me.” Hurst said.

Engineering teacher Brandy Palmerin has had experience with seemingly worthless presents.

“Each year my grandmother would always get me fragrance soaps and lotions.” Palmerin said

Palmerin believes that the present ultimately served a greater purpose in her life despite initially having little value to her. Yet the fragrance acted as a constant reminder of her grandmother.

Palmerin’s statements help emphasize the point that Christmas presents are never inherently meaningless. While many DGS students and staff have had a present that they initially perceived inadequate, they ultimately held value because of what they stood for.

These interviewees have made it clear that the quality of a present is meaningless in actuality. They have experienced disappointment, but they are beyond appreciative of the good intentions surrounding these presents. Presents offer a recollection of past memories and value cannot simply be assigned to them immediately.

“Now that she is gone, every time I smell that same smell it reminds me of her and it reminds me of her and all the good times we had together.” Palmerin said.