Girls cross country team takes first at regional meet

Brenna Cohoon

From left to right: sophomore Alex Spang, senior Brenna Cohoon, sophomore Sophia McNerney, senior Erin Reidy, junior Rebecca Diddia, sophomore Kelsey Casella, and sophomore Renee Kowalski.

The girls cross country team won its regional tournament over the weekend on Saturday, Oct. 26. The Mustangs ran the 3-mile race through the rain to take home the victory for DGS, scoring 29 points overall.

Some of the highest-scoring girls were senior Brenna Cohoon, who placed first with a time of 17:20, and senior Erin Reidy, who came in third place with a time of 17:45. Both girls earned all-regional honors.

Head Coach Douglas Plunkett expressed pride in the team’s execution of the win.

The team really rose to the challenge of racing Hinsdale Central in some tough, wet conditions. Each girl executed the race plan we gave them perfectly. I’m very proud of their effort and competitiveness,” Plunkett said.

Sophomore Kelsey Casella competed at the regional meet, where she took 16th place out of 42 runners. She expressed pride in how the team overcame its obstacles in the race.

“Regionals on Saturday was very exciting but also nerve-racking. Our coach decided to run without one of our top seven runners, Kennedy Warden, which made the competition between us and Hinsdale Central closer. We ended up winning by more than expected, and I think that’s due to our smart race plans and teamwork throughout the race,” Casella said.

The team hopes to take first place at state in Peoria on Saturday, Nov. 9.

“Our team goal is to score better than last year at state, either taking home [the] first or second place trophy. I 100% believe we can, especially after our performance at regionals,” Casella said.