D99 students perform annual holiday concert

Students were able to attend the holiday concert during second period.

DGS hosts an annual holiday concert every December, with a combined group of band, orchestra and choir students that perform. The D99 Orchestra, DGS Wind Symphony, Wind Ensemble and combined choirs prepared a total number of 12 selections to perform.

The students prepared for three performances of the concert. One on December 6th, and two on December 7th during the school day for the students and staff of DGS.

Sophomore and member of the trumpet section Ben Tunney reflects on his experience playing in his first Holiday Concert this year.

“[This is my first year] and I was so excited. I’m a member of [Wind Symphony] and it was really interesting and fun to be able to play with more talented players and different players that I don’t usually play with.” said Tunney.

Considering this concert cycle was Holiday themed, the students had to learn iconic pieces of music and replicate them for viewers enjoyment.

“My favorite song that we played was probably “Sleigh Ride” because [I played the horse noise at the end] and that was really fun.” Tunney explained.

Some students who have played in the holiday concert multiple years have had different experiences each year. Senior and member of the tuba section Joe Wygonski explained what it’s like to play in the holiday concert.

“Everyone seems so happy and the [crowd seems to really enjoy this assembly]. I’ve played in the holiday concert all four years of high school, and I like the orchestra music [that I get to play in the concert] My favorite music was the music we played from the Nutcracker.” said Wygonski.

Glenn Williams, head of the music department at DGS took time to recognize students who were selected for ILMEA in band, orchestra and choir from both DGS and DGN.

Senior and member of the low brass section Sam Guagliardo was selected for all-state ILMEA, and talks about how this year’s concert was for her.

“This [year’s holiday concert] snuck up on me, but I think this year everyone was a little more into it. [Even though I didn’t feel it before the concert I’m feeling it now] more than I ever have and I think the festivities of [the assembly and concert] are really exciting.” Guagliardo said.