Homecoming assembly to be the ‘star’ of the show

Rachel Ley

Students perform at the Homecoming Assembly.

With homecoming coming up in the next couple days, students at DGS can expect a range of activities and festivities to get pumped for the dance. One of those festivities includes the homecoming assembly.

Many students participate in the assembly, which helps showcase the talents and activities at DGS. Some of those include the dance teams, an act from the variety show, the Madrigals six part National Anthem performance and the parade after the assembly.

“I like the homecoming assembly [because we can see the talent in our school] and we get to see the dancers, which is always fun,” senior Tyler Nank said.

Student Activities Director Jennifer Martinez believes the assembly is a pivotal way to build community at DGS.

“I think that the students can expect some exciting entertainment [at this year’s assembly],” Martinez said.

Students can expect an interesting array of amusement on Friday, including some acts that DGS has never done before.

“[We] definitely have some things planned, some things in the works, we have some amazing DGS faculty members that are going to be involved, and I think the kids want to see them in action. And we also have some surprise outside entertainment coming, so that’s all I can say because we have to bring a little bit of Hollywood to DGS on Friday,” Martinez said.

The assembly aims to bring a sense of unity to the school, connections between grade levels and relationships between students and staff.

“Number one, we have all just begun the year together so were celebrating the beginning and its exciting because we’re all happy to be back after summer. Additionally, it’s really awesome to bring back our alumni …  they are such a connection to DGS and the pride that we all have for being Mustangs and just the unification and everything. I’m extra excited because our distinguished alums are going to be in the assembly and participating in the parade … They’re not only being honored at the ceremony Thursday night, but they’re coming back to do presentations with students on Friday. It’s just great to be a Mustang, so when I think about why [the assembly is] important, it’s just creating community, celebrating our culture, celebrating who we are as Mustangs together and creating those memories,” Martinez said.