Blueprint

• September 7Homecoming Show Sept. 19 from 7-9 p.m.

• September 7Powder Puff Game Sept. 17 from 6-9 p.m.

• September 7Blood drive Sept. 11

Top ten Tuesday: words I use excessively but don’t know the meaning of

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.

Email This Story

Jonah Ocuto

More stories from Jonah Ocuto

May 18, 2018
May 18, 2018
Issue 5
May 18, 2018
May 11, 2018
May 11, 2018

As a writer, I find myself using words quite often. Yet, it’s impossible to know every word to use in every situation. Because of this, I find myself using words or phrases all the time even though I have absolutely no idea what they mean. Here are my top 10 favorites.

1. Juxtaposition

I used this word 54 times in the last essay I wrote, all in different situations to describe different things. Do I have a single clue as to what it means? No. Did I get an A? You bet.

1. Allegory

Whenever I see this word my brain immediately reads “Alligator.” My doctor says I may be dyslexic, but I just think he’s a stupid medicine boy who doesn’t know when to be quiet.

1. Acquiesce

I heard somebody say this word on a YouTube video and my brain was immediately hooked. Now I use it in every social situation, which may explain my perplexing lack of meaningful relationships. Parents just don’t understand, huh.

1. Cognizant

When I use this word, people around me stare in awe of my mental fortitude. What they don’t know is that I have absolutely no idea what I’m saying. At one point I said “Cognizant applesauce” to describe its taste.

1. Institutionalization

This word is at least two times longer than the other words on this list, so I don’t even know where to begin. I use this when I talk about politics, which makes Mrs. Rodey proud.

1. Crayon

CRAY- ON? Or CRAN? I don’t know, man.

1. Myriad

I started every essay in AP Lang with this word. I think it’s an adjective describing the shape of a turtles shell, but I’m just not sure.

1. Puce

Bro… like… what?

1. Vendetta

This was the metal in Black Panther.

1. Pulchritudinous

I don’t even know how to pronounce this one, but man, if you drop this in an essay for English — your teachers head will literally explode. Seriously. Don’t use this word in an essay.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

6 Comments

6 Responses to “Top ten Tuesday: words I use excessively but don’t know the meaning of”

1. Angel Lee on April 19th, 2018 8:30 am

I really like this article. It’s funny fun and enjoyable. I think the fact that you use these words and barely even know them is so relatable because I use words all the time and don’t exactly know what they mean. Especially when it comes to slang. I use words I don’t know the most in slang.

2. Bobby Ramsdell on April 19th, 2018 8:33 am

Institutionalization is a word that definitely should be used more, especially when referring to Pepsi. Another word that is not used enough is cacophany. Definitely one of my favorites.

3. Colin Ferguson on April 19th, 2018 11:22 am

This was very funny and enjoyable to read, it put a smile on my face and made my day better! I love this type of creativity.

4. Eldwin Neritani on April 19th, 2018 11:28 am

I enjoyed this article. Half of these words I didn’t even knew existed, but I can appreciate my vocabulary being expanded. Will definitely give these words a try in my next English essay!

5. Jessica Prete on April 19th, 2018 12:07 pm

My artillery of impressive vocabulary words has now been expanded! I thought this article was really funny and I even semi-learned something in the process.

6. Brett Riegler on April 19th, 2018 12:09 pm

Funny article. I enjoy when journalists write about things that everyone goes through but nobody talks about because either its embarrassing or you think that you are the only one experiencing that one thing.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Navigate Right
Navigate Left
  • Top ten Tuesday: words I use excessively but don’t know the meaning of

Entertainment

Top 10 things to watch on Netflix in the fall

• Top ten Tuesday: words I use excessively but don’t know the meaning of

Entertainment

“Dad” clothes take DGS by storm: don’t be an idiot when partaking

• Top ten Tuesday: words I use excessively but don’t know the meaning of

#TBT

Throwback Thursday: Jordan Copeland

• Top ten Tuesday: words I use excessively but don’t know the meaning of

Entertainment

Fab fall fashion

• Top ten Tuesday: words I use excessively but don’t know the meaning of

Entertainment

Horoscopes 9/19

• Top ten Tuesday: words I use excessively but don’t know the meaning of

Andrea's Cooking Blog

Copycat Potbelly Cookies will make you the coolest cat in school

• Top ten Tuesday: words I use excessively but don’t know the meaning of

Entertainment

A red carpet look at powder puff football

• Top ten Tuesday: words I use excessively but don’t know the meaning of