Every Day’s A Sundae is mint to be

Jhenevie Oca, Photo Editor

Did you know the word “stressed” spelled backward is “desserts?” It’s only fitting for someone like me, a senior in high school with a thousand things to juggle at once, to continually stuff their face with a sweet treat. With that being said, I’m always on the hunt to try out places that offer desserts.

Every Day’s A Sundae is located in downtown Downers Grove and has been serving people of all ages ice cream and more for over 20 years. And I’m only just stepping foot into their parlor now after living in Woodridge for most of my life. I know, you’re disappointed in me. But one thing I can say for sure is that I was definitely not disappointed with Every Day’s A Sundae.

I love this place. As soon as I walked in, all of the employees jumped to their feet to come and offer my friends and I their service. I was a bit overwhelmed at first by all of the choices, but the more options the better — there’s a flavor for everyone. They also offer more than just ice cream, but rich shakes, malts, cakes and more. I must have tried at least half of the flavors before settling on triple caramel and birthday cake, which I have to say are pretty classic flavors. It was delicious.

Not to mention the generous amount they give you. I got a size small which allowed me to choose two flavors. There’s nothing more annoying than an employee giving you the tiniest amount of ice cream and not filling it up entirely. At Every Day’s A Sundae, my ice cream was brimming over the top of the cup.

In general, ice cream parlors are usually pretty pricey in comparison to the local grocery store but I thought the price was fair. I paid about $3 for my order. At Baskin-Robbins, $3 would probably get you a measly single scoop for the same cup size. The price does increase as you go up a size.  

The only thing I didn’t quite enjoy was the drive to Every Day’s A Sundae. No, it wasn’t a long drive from where I lived, but the traffic was insane due to it being located right across from the train station drop-off area. I’m not going to lie, the struggle was mostly our fault as we went during rush hour. If you’re hanging out with a group of teens and are not super experienced with driving downtown, the extra stress of pedestrians and more cars will definitely get you flustered. There is parking right in front of the store, but because we went at the wrong time we parked pretty far. I definitely recommend coming a bit earlier or when the area won’t be as traffic.

But the ice cream definitely made up for the stress we went through just to get to the store. Overall, I enjoyed Every Day’s A Sundae and will definitely be returning.