Sideline stars: Sports managers support athletes throughout season

Boys wrestling manager Maddie Hahn films a meet in order to record statistics and create content.
Maddie Hahn

Whether it’s on a sun-drenched field, under bright Friday night lights or beside a chlorine-wafting lap pool, most sports spectators are so engrossed in the actions of athletes that they tend to miss the catalytic forces on the sidelines who keep those actions in-play. While the mind might first interpret these dynamic figures to be the coaches, actions that are most overlooked are often those of the sports managers.

The DGS students who willingly assume these roles train, practice, travel with and hustle right alongside the players. Ranging from collecting equipment to recording player’s statistics, the responsibilities of a sports manager are versatile.

Hahns posts include meet results, team photos and information on upcoming wrestling events and competitions.

Senior Maddie Hahn manages the boys wrestling team. She organizes the wrestler’s gear, records statistics, films meets and assists coaches with the logistics of the sport. Additionally, she creates content for their Instagram account @dgsouthstrong.

Although Hahn had no previous experience with managing or the sport of wrestling prior to taking on this position, the idea of a new endeavor was enticing.

“Someone asked me if I wanted to manage and I thought it would be fun to try something new. Even though it is an individual sport, we are all family and the bonds you make with the parents and siblings along with the wrestlers is like no other,” Hahn said.

Hahn’s posts include meet results, team photos and information on upcoming wrestling events and competitions. (Lauren Miranda)

It was senior and boys varsity baseball manager Jeevan Kolavennu’s interest in the sport that eventually elevated him to his manager position.

“I had tried out for an actual position on the team last year, and when it came time for the decision meetings coaches Orel and Cappelen told me that they couldn’t offer me a spot on the team but they could offer me sort of a coach’s spot as a manager because they knew how well I got along with the team and how I’d have an interest with interpreting numbers and statistics. I do have a ton of interest with the numbers behind baseball, so I gladly accepted the offer,” Kolavennu said.

…they could offer me sort of a coaches spot as a manger because they knew how well I got along with the team and how I’d have an interest with interpreting numbers and statistics.

— Kolavennu

Kolavennus new statistics document helps him record the data of the baseball players.

Kolavennu’s primary responsibility of recording the team’s statistics during games led him to update the program’s record-keeping systems.

“Last year I had decided to scrap the old bullpen stat document that had been previously used and make my own new sheets program for the team to help take not only more accurate statistics but also help take more numbers that could tell more about a player’s performance. Doing stuff like that is something that I’ve been able to do as a manager and is something I really enjoy doing,” Kolavennu said.

Kolavennu’s new statistics document helps him record the data of the baseball players. (Jeevan Kolavennu)

Demonstrating the varied roles of sports managers, sophomore and varsity boys basketball manager Claire Posmer has different responsibilities depending on the setting.

“If we just have practice, I have to fill up the waters and run the clock for each drill they have. However, if it is a game, I have to fill up waters and take stats,” Posmer said.

In addition to helping the players, Posmer supports the coaches as well.

“I carry gum on me during every game because the coaches need it when the game gets stressful,” Posmer said.

Varsity girls basketball coach Lyndsie Long not only allows students to manage her team if they express interest and are able to commit to their schedule, but also welcomes them to share in the team’s camaraderie.

Managers become part of the team, and we treat them as just that.

— Long

“It is a very positive effect when a student asks to be a manager. Managers commit lots of time, as they are expected to be at all practices and games. Managers become part of the team, and we treat them as just that,” Long said.

Posmer+and+the+other+basketball+managers+attend+Notre+Dame+with+the+varsity+boys+basketball+team.+
Posmer and the other basketball managers attend Notre Dame with the varsity boys basketball team. (Claire Posmer)

Posmer is a recipient of this belief, as she is included in all the boys basketball team’s outings and events.

“The most enjoyable part about being a manager would have to be that we are included in pretty much everything from team dinners to Christmas parties, so you really get to have a lot of fun,” Posmer said.

Hahn also takes part in the wrestling team’s community and outings, as she has traveled across five states and has attended two out-of-state tournaments with the team.

“The team is like a second family to me where I can be who I want to be and go outside my comfort zone and know I will always have support. The laughs I have had because of this sport are some of my favorite memories,” Hahn said.

Pullquote Photo

The team is like a second family to me where I can be who I want to be and go outside my comfort zone and know I will always have support.

— Hahn