Senior defensive back Dylan Spencer celebrates after his second quarter interception on Willowbrook quarterback AJ Palicki.
Heather Kelly

Mustangs topple Willowbrook at Home

111 Views

On Sept. 15, 2023, DGS varsity football (1-3) defeated conference opponent Willowbrook (2-2) at home in a close 28-21 victory that came down to the final moments of the game. The Mustangs took a major step forward in offense and defense this week, with 274 yards for the offense and only three touchdowns allowed for Willowbrook.

The Warriors punted away their first possession to allow the Mustangs the chance to put seven points in the bank on their first drive, moving the score to 7-0. The touchdown came from junior Kayden Smith, which was the first of his varsity career.

The Warriors responded with a touchdown rush from AJ Pallicki, whose designed quarterback runs were the primary offense of the warriors in the first half. DGS answered with a touchdown run of their own from quarterback Will Potter who had an efficient night overall, also going 8/10 with 109 yards through the air.

After the break, Willowbrook’s AJ Palicki found the end zone after hurdling his offensive line for his second rushing score of the game, putting the Warriors in front 14-13. Willowbrook’s next chance was stunted near their own goal line, where they were elected to punt it away.

Senior defensive back Dylan Spencer blocked it where it was recovered on the three for his second turnover after a massive second quarter pick.

“The turning point was definitely that block. It led to our third touchdown and gave us the momentum we needed to make that stop in the fourth,” Samuels said.

Running back Deon Davis capitalized on the chance, putting the Mustangs ahead 21-13, a mere few minutes after returning from injury.

Willowbrook wasn’t ready to go quietly into the night, scoring a ten yard touchdown through the air, following a huge return from wide-out Kenneth Rhodes, evening it at twenty one. Davis punched seven more in for South in reply, hoisting the Mustangs up to 28-21, which would be the final score.

With this win, DGS moves to 1-0 in West Suburban Gold conference play, seating them second behind rival Hinsdale South, and even with Morton, who they face off against next week for their first away game of the season.

Morton (1-3) is coming off a 48-13 loss at Hinsdale Central. DGS hasn’t lost a football game on the varsity level to Morton in two decades. They are 19-0 against the conference opponent since 2003.

“The key this week is to be physical. You know, we’re not gonna let up, just dominate. Offensively with our line we should be able to do what we want,” Spencer said.

Willowbrook falls to 1-1 in conference and prepares for a Hinsdale South (2-2) team, fresh off a crushing win over Leyden. Last year, Willowbrook beat the Hornets 21-14 to place them third in the conference.