This+picture+was+taken+by+%40wardup.photos+in+March+in+Downers+Grove.+

Ebony Ward

This picture was taken by @wardup.photos in March in Downers Grove.

Letter to the editor: Part IV from former DGS students

District 99 is full of truly kind-hearted people who often mean no harm at all. Unfortunately, however, that isn’t enough to change what harmful precedent was set by generations before us.

We need to recognize that race currently has a huge impact on the lives of the students at District 99.

Recognizing this, we need to combat these issues of inequality so that all students are given the opportunity to better themselves through a quality education within a space where they feel respected and heard.
As we all continue to educate ourselves on these issues, we must at the same time, act.

So if you believe in the stances taken within this article, please sign the petitions below.

Then, if you feel so inclined, write and email our school’s administration, local congressional representatives and city government leadership about your thoughts on these issues.

If you agree with getting rid of policies which rely on drug searches and drug-related arrests, suspensions and expulsions on campus which are ineffective and harmful to students and instead creating an evidence-based intervention and support system following recommendations given by the Dignity in Schools Campaign, sign here.

If you agree with reforming the current policies on fighting and making clear guidelines for what constitutes self-defence following recommendations given by the Dignity in Schools Campaign, sign here.

If you agree with reforming the swipe station system and calling for investigations into the transportation system, sign here.

These issues all go deeper than we had the space to provide an explanation for in these articles.

However, we encourage you to continue to learn about the school environment you live in and the different ways those around you interact with it. We encourage the district and school community to not just extend empathy to those who struggle with racism but action.

Blueprint • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in