Seniors applying for the early-decision deadlines are working through the application process. (Paul Szmanda)
Seniors applying for the early-decision deadlines are working through the application process.

Paul Szmanda

The stress of college applications is in full swing

October 5, 2019

The Common App: How can one form determine my entire future?

Teagan Smith is in visible pain due to her Common Application.

Jacob Casella

Jacob Casella

Jacob Casella

In March, my friends and I decided that we would throw a party the day the Common Application opened up. We decided that we would be proactive in applying to college, and start on Aug. 1.

This did not happen, however. Come the day of the application opening, I was partying with thousands of other suburban teens at Lollapalooza, friends were on vacation and others were still simply relaxing.

Deciding your entire future in the span of a few months is a daunting task to ask of 17-year-olds. I mean, I don’t think that I am in a place to know what I want to do for the rest of my life. When I go out to eat with my friends, we take an hour to decide just where to go.

How can you expect me to decide my entire life so quickly?

In the application process, there are so many questions to ask when deciding where to apply and what to major in.

Are you OK with taking out so many loans that you will have to sell your soul to Sally Mae and only eat ramen noodles for the rest of your life? Do you want to go to school just to find an attractive significant other or have fun at parties? Or do you actually want a great education to prepare you for a successful future? (Lame.)

In addition to deciding just where to apply, the physical application process is annoying. Self-reporting your grades takes like an hour each time you have to do it, and you have to do it a lot. Why would Harvard care if I failed Global Connections freshman year?  They shouldn’t.

And explaining your activities… ugh. This gets on my nerves. I did theater because I like attention, but how am I supposed to make this sound profound?

Writing a personal essay also sucks. How am I supposed to make my life a sob story? Like I cry during every movie I see, does that mean that I have emotional issues that will score me a full ride? Literally nothing meaningful has ever happened to me in my entire life.

College expects everything to be meaningful, but at this point in our lives, nothing really means that much.
The kicker is that the admission counselors know this too. They don’t care that you stayed at school every night until midnight prancing around in glitter because you’re on the quidditch team and it made you realize your passions in life.

This time of life is full of excitement and hard choices that I feel as if I am not competent enough to make yet, but I have to. By May 1, I will know a huge part of the rest of my life.

This is scary, so to forget about my fear of applying I put on my quidditch uniform to find out who I really am.

Hopefully Harvard will eat it up.