Parking vs. pedestrians: Construction creates confusion

October 4, 2019

The+parking+was+affected+by+construction.+The+pick-up+drop-ff+line+is+now+by+the+West+Events+entrance.+

Ashley Boak

The parking was affected by construction. The pick-up drop-ff line is now by the West Events entrance.

Since the start of construction, many changes have been made to the DGS parking lots. This includes changes to the visitor parking, changes in entrance, experiments with traffic flow and navigating new traffic changes.

One of the major changes is the change of the main entrance, which has moved from one side of the building to another. Another change is the three way stop. Principal Ed Schwartz explains the new three way stop that has been added since the 2018-2019 school year ended.

“We put a three way stop in down at the west events drive because the cars coming east and west never had to stop and kept coming in, so more cars came in and none ever had to come out. That is why we did a three way stop for our busiest times,” Schwartz said.

With the visitors parking moved from one side of the school to another, the bus lot has been moved to make space for the new visitors parking lot. Schwartz talks about the main entrance change and how it affected other areas such as the bus lot.

“The new main entrance changed everything, because it changed where the visitor lot is and [where] the bus lot [was]… Trying to get the buses to pull in at this east end, and having them make that turn was almost impossible coming from the Norfolk side. That is why we had them come in this new way,” Schwartz said.

A common way DGS students get to school is by driving. There are two places for students to park their cars, the senior lot and the bus lot. Those with bus lot parking passes must leave after 7th period before the buses come in. 

Senior Alex Wiggins is a student with a bus lot parking pass and explains what it’s like to park in the bus lot on a daily basis.

“In the morning it’s sort of crazy if you leave later, we usually get here around 7:30 so it’s not that bad, but later I know it gets bad. When I’m leaving, I have early dismissal, so it’s not bad,” Wiggins said.

The majority of students who park at DGS are placed in the senior lot. Tara Pikey is one of the many students that has to navigate possible traffic after school ends. Pikey talks about what it’s like leaving the senior lot at 3:20 p.m.

“There is a lot of people [in the parking lot]. It’s because everybody is trying to get out the exits that we have if you are turning… I turn right, so if you are turning right you all [usually] have to go through one exit,” Pikey said.

Pikey also believes that the new changes have made the parking lot worse. 

“Now we have all these new stop signs and new pedestrian walkways, which is great, but at the same time it’s a lot harder for cars to get around. Especially because some of the stop signs don’t make any sense, because you are stopping in the middle where other cars are trying to go,” Pikey said.

However, some students have ideas that they believe would make the parking lots and areas surrounding more efficient. Wiggins is one of these students.

“The senior lot should have more entrances and exits because there are only two right now. It makes it really hard to get out and get in,” Wiggins said.