How the school punishes students

January 29, 2019

When involved in a fight, students are given consequences. The punishments are decided by the students’ deans and the administration.

During the 2016-17 school year, DGS had 16 fights and three batteries. A battery within the school is considered a one-sided fight where an individual is bothering another student. As of this school year, there has been eight fights and one battery.

In the past few years at DGS, the number of fights seems to have gone up. In the first three months of this school year alone, there have already been eight fights, which is half the number of fights that took place last year.

DGS associate principal, Dr. Karen Taylor elaborates on the procedures taken when a fight occurs within the school.

“So the very first action, of course, is to separate the fighting individuals and ensure that students are safe … from there, things get very situational,” Taylor said.

The severity of the fight will determine what the punishment is; according to the DGS student handbook,

Depending upon the seriousness and frequency of the offense, the penalty may be less or more severe.

The deans then conduct an investigation to see what led up to the fight. The administration checks security cameras and interviews witnesses. They speak with the individuals involved and look at both sides. Everyone that was actively involved in the fight is punished.

Although some students see their involvement as self-defense, at DGS once you choose to engage in the fight, you are on the offensive side. You are considered part of the fight, there is no defense, only offense.

According to the DGS student handbook, once you throw your first punch you’re responding to an aggressor with aggression.

Some students believe this is unfair because when someone provokes you, you should be able to protect yourself from an aggressor. Junior Rosalinda Velazquez believes that a student who fights back should not be punished because they are defending themselves.

“Giving [everyone] involved in the fight a ticket or suspension is unfair because one person could’ve been defending themselves [from the aggressor],” Velazquez said.

On the contrary, Taylor believes that students should take the punch or find a way out of the situation.

“There are lots of opportunities for students to get away, for students to not engage in a situation and there are adults nearby to help, protect and keep students safe,” Taylor said.