• December 14Winter Play in the Auditorium 7:00-9:00 p.m.

• December 10D99 Bands with Special Guests from Tokyo 7:00 p.m. Dec. 18

• December 10Winter Break Begins Dec. 22

Spiderman: Homecoming trailer surges with excitement

Jonah Ocuto

More stories from Jonah Ocuto

May 18, 2018
May 18, 2018
Issue 5
May 18, 2018
May 11, 2018
May 11, 2018

Last Thursday, every nerd audibly gasped in excitement as Marvel released the first trailer for their upcoming film, Spider-Man: Homecoming. I was one of those nerds.

The first thing that I gathered from watching the trailer only backed up that excitement I initially felt, because Spider-Man is actually funny. Ever since watching Civil War, I’ve been extremely excited and hopeful about this version of Spider-Man; Tom Holland simply fits the role to a T. After a couple awesome shots of Spider-Man kicking butt, as he does best, the trailer cuts to showing Peter Parker’s life at school.

Right off the bat, it’s clear that Parker is an awkward, nerdy high schooler, just like the rest of us. The music playing in the background only reinforced how lighthearted this film seems to be. Personally, this is great news for me; it’s really easy for superhero movies to take themselves too seriously, when in reality sometimes they just need to have fun.

After that, the trailer cuts into a short scene with Tony Stark and Peter Parker talking about Spider-Man’s new role as a crime fighter. The introduction of Tony Stark as Parker’s mentor is awesome beyond belief. It’s going to be very interesting to see how Stark is essentially a father figure to him, and, according to the trailer, it’ll be hilarious as well.

One of the most important aspects of any superhero is obviously their costume, and it’s clear that Spidey’s new suit is absolutely bonkers. It looks like it came straight out of the classic comics, which is awesome to see. I especially love what they did with the eyes on the suit — the way that they kind of work like a camera shutter helps show Parker’s expressions while he’s fighting crime; something that other suits often lack.

Later in the trailer, the main villain of the film, Vulture (Michael Keaton), is introduced. I love the Vulture as a villain, but the costuming leaves me feeling a little bit iffy on him as a whole. I really like the Air Force pilot look the studio is going for, but it seems out of place in the setting of the film as a whole. If it took place in more of a tundra-type environment, I’d love it, but it seems out of place in New York.

Other than that, however, the fact that Michael Keaton is playing the character is thrilling. Keaton is undeniably a fantastic actor and his performance will undoubtedly be a great addition to the film.

The trailer closes with a shot of Spidey jumping off of the Washington Monument (don’t get me started on those web-gliders underneath his arms), and cuts to a couple action shots of Michael Keaton being terrifying and Spider-Man being awesome in some intense battles. Finally, the trailer ends with a jaw-dropping shot of Spidey holding together some sort of boat/oil platform, and wow does it look good.

Overall, the trailer previewed exactly what I want in a Spider-Man movie — a quirky, awkward hero, exciting plotline and interesting villain. Marvel studios has yet to release a bad movie, ignoring Iron Man 3 and all of the Thor films, of course. Spider-Man: Homecoming looks like the exact superhero movie I’ve been craving, and I can’t say how excited I am for its release.

Oh, and that shot of Spidey and Iron Man at the end? Wow.

11 Comments

11 Responses to “Spiderman: Homecoming trailer surges with excitement”

1. Tanner Cameron on January 18th, 2017 8:33 am

I think it’s interesting to “review” a movie trailer. While it may not have a lot overall in terms of content, it really does say a lot about the film as a whole, and reviewing trailers for movies might be a way to help people decide if the movie is actually one for them or not.

2. Jonah Ocuto on January 18th, 2017 12:33 pm

Thanks! It’s definitely fun for movies like this because there are a lot of hidden gems you can find, too.

3. Alicen on January 18th, 2017 11:17 am

I like how you included past movies and referenced them to the trailer. I think it was a good idea since trailers, are so short and only give you a glimpse of the movie.

4. Jonah Ocuto on January 18th, 2017 12:32 pm

Thanks for the compliment! Some trailers are really misleading, so it’s good to keep context in mind.

5. Sherwin Thomas on January 18th, 2017 4:23 pm

Spiderman has easily always been probably my favorite superhero (sometimes #2 when Batman has a great movie/game) and it’s been a while since the original trilogy which was phenomenal (except Spiderman 3…) so I am very excited to see him coming back to the big screen and I am glad to see a movie producer getting the balance between nerd and humor just right. The trilogy did a great job of capturing the awkward nerd aspect of Peter but was often times too serious. Meanwhile the reboot a few years back was a lot funnier, but Andrew Garfield was a little too pretty skater boy for me. The new actor excels at balancing the two and it HAS been a while since Marvel has churned out an overly awful film so I am very excited to see what this film brings to the table. Especially because it’ll be part of the MCU.

6. Jonah Ocuto on January 24th, 2017 1:21 pm

I completely agree with everything you say! Tom Holland has me excited for the future.

7. Sherwin Thomas on January 18th, 2017 4:24 pm

Great article Jonah!

8. Pranav Cherian on January 20th, 2017 9:11 am

Good thing to know that I am not the only one excited about the new Spider man movie I agree that a funny serious spider man would be really cool.

9. Jonah Ocuto on January 24th, 2017 1:21 pm

You gotta have both!

10. Smithg182 on March 7th, 2017 8:37 am

I appreciate, cause I found just what I was looking for. You have ended my 4 day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day. Bye efkegbddddcbeede

11. Cameron Crowley on April 19th, 2018 8:34 am

This review and breakdown of the trailer made me want to see the movie before I even saw the trailer!

• Spiderman: Homecoming trailer surges with excitement

Entertainment

In a studying frenzy? Read some helping horoscopes

Entertainment

Kilwins has quite the scoop

Entertainment

Top ten Christmas songs

Entertainment

Casa Bueno

Features

DGS captivates the culture

Entertainment

Thai Cafe is the gem of Downtown Downers

#TBT

TBT: Kevin Senese

Entertainment

Horoscopes 12/5: which senior superlative are you?

Entertainment

Pierce Tavern: Filled with delicious food and rich history

Entertainment

Top Ten Tuesday: French Fries