• May 8AP Exams, May 6-17

• May 8Yearbook Distribution, May 15

• May 8Spring Art Show in the West Events Entrance, May 10-12

Gummy bear drug bust breaks balance at Naperville North

Thirteen Naperville North High School students were rushed to Edward Hospital because of consuming gummy bears that were possibly laced with marijuana on Dec. 6. A 16-year-old suspect is now in custody for questioning.

The police have not yet confirmed whether the students took the gummy bears knowingly or what specific drug was in the gummy bears, but the students had symptoms of rapid heart rate, dizziness, dry mouth and nausea.

While the situation was developing, NNHS Principal Stephanie Posey sent out an email to all parents informing them of the situation. While the email did not contain much verified information from the police,  it stated that “several students ate candy, gummy bears to be specific, that may contain another substance.”

The email also stated that the school will “continue to review the specifics of the situation and will address it appropriately.” A school wide announcement was also made during seventh period to inform the students of the situation and clear any confusion.

NNHS Junior Paulius Paskevicius explains what was discussed in the announcement during school.

“I heard the announcement from the principal addressing that some students ‘made poor choices’ by bringing in gummy bears laced with a ‘substance’ (Marijuana or marijuana oil) to school selling/giving them to kids,” Paskevicius said.

Most of the kids involved in the incident were freshmen, worrying NNHS Junior Maya Tucker.

“It was hard to see how close in proximity drugs can be used and offered, even in school where we should always feel safe. It made me feel worried and wonder if the students eating it knew what they were eating,” Tucker said.

Computer Science Teacher Doug Plunkett has a daughter and son that attends NNHS. He shares what he has discussed with his children.

“It’s not the first talk that we’ve had about this stuff but just when it happens out in the open like that it becomes more real…you can’t get stuck in your little Naperville Bubble,” Plunkett said.

Tucker explains what she is taking away from this situation to help her in the future.

“The effect it has on me is a good lesson about always being careful about things that are offered to us, and to not accept food from a stranger because it could have been tampered with,” Tucker said.

Senior Kathryn Abe attends NNHS and says that this situation is not a representation of the student body.

“It hasn’t really affected me because I know that this doesn’t represent the vast majority of NNHS. I think it’s unfortunate that the media has really blown up the event because it is giving people a wrong representation of NNHS and all the good people at this school,” Abe said.

The Naperville Police could not be reached for comments.

19 Comments

19 Responses to “Gummy bear drug bust breaks balance at Naperville North”

1. Sam Newton on January 17th, 2017 11:23 am

It’s very interesting to know about something like this happening so close. There will be a lot of suspense with the upcoming investigation on the situation. I can’t wait to learn more about what happened.

2. Eddie R on January 17th, 2017 11:26 am

I really like how you tied in the quotes with what you are saying. When you said Tucker explains what she is taking away from this situation to help her in the future, and then you went into your quote it really made your piece flow.

3. Megan Fenner on January 17th, 2017 11:29 am

I thought this article was informative on the situation. I specifically like the source from the teacher who also has kids going to NNHS. I didn’t hear about this in the news and I think it’s good for the students at DGS to know what’s going on around them in order to stay aware of problems that might occur at our school and to make smarter choices here to prevent the same thing from happening.

4. Kiley Reidy on January 17th, 2017 12:09 pm

The picture displayed is a very intriguing depiction of gummy bears & it was much more interesting than it would have been if it were just a single hand holding a gummy bear. The gummy bears are most obviously the first thing that people will look at when they see the picture because the rest of the background is in black & white. All around very creative picture.

5. Matt H on January 17th, 2017 12:16 pm

The picture is taken very nicely and edited where your eyes go directly to the candy because of the color. I liked how they used multiple hands instead of only a few because it really makes you understand how many people were effected. It is an interesting story because it makes you wonder if things like this happens at your school and if you know anyone that could have been involved.

6. Paige Patera on January 17th, 2017 12:17 pm

This article was very interesting due to the tittle and the picture developed. It is a great idea to always inform schools what big events are occurring at other schools, not just your own.

7. Joshua Abarca on January 17th, 2017 7:27 pm

This article is very interesting and gives me a new take about accepting snacks and food from people. I look at this incident as a lesson for all. Although these students at NNHS made a mistake it proves as a positive for students to make wiser decisions when accepting food from others. Also, The picture in the article made me want to start read this article, it shows that although the snacks look good you never really know what could be inside.

8. Danny Boleaga on January 17th, 2017 8:24 pm

I really like the picture you used for this piece it really gives me an idea on what the story is going to be about without having to read the article. I also liked the way you gave evidence on the incident like the way you describe what happened at the school and how many students were involved and also the symptoms they were going through. You got awesome interviews from people from NNHS even though you are a DGS Student it must’ve been kinda hard to get those interviews but you did really great.

9. Sam Gabbard on January 18th, 2017 8:30 am

Definitely caught my eye! Well done with the title and the photo!

10. Ian Wisniewski on January 18th, 2017 8:36 am

This article did a great job with the implementation of sources that were directly affected by the situation. This gives the article a more important and personal feeling.

11. Lindsay Morton on January 18th, 2017 10:30 am

I thought is article was very eye opening to the problems that we face day to day. This article helped show me how some students can make poor choices but we should not let it affect the student body as a whole. Also I was worried when I read that freshman were the ones who were affected with this incident.

12. Alan Le on January 18th, 2017 10:41 am

Having this event brought to the light by the carelessness of the dealer, one may come to think and question if there are other deals and usage that is happening at the school by elusive students. Is it possible to deter and prevent such dealing to ensure the safety of students and to prevent what happened at Naperville North from happening anywhere else?

13. Kelly Pyburn on January 18th, 2017 10:43 am

Everyone has been told “not to take candy from strangers” but we rarely here about cases near us where this type of incident occurs. It is good to get the word out there that these terrible things are actually happening so we can be more aware of our surroundings.

14. Kyle Kotula on January 18th, 2017 10:50 am

I think this article is very concerning and I am glad it is on the breaking news. It isn’t very common that we find stories like this in our area especially being a school near us. I hope that no more incidents in relation to drug use come around anytime soon in DGS.

15. Ryan Nicol on January 18th, 2017 10:57 am

I thought this article was very insightful and provided a lot of great information about the situation at NNHS, and how it affected the people that go there.

16. Arielle Arboleda on January 18th, 2017 6:43 pm

This article was shocking to think that students would knowingly or unknowingly take candy laced drugs that they don’t even know who or how someone made them. I hope these freshman students didn’t think that by taking those gummy bears, it would make them cool by habing no idea what they were actually putting into their bodies. Also, I hope that other students make a life lesson out of those students poor choices.

17. Johanna Ortiz on January 20th, 2017 9:14 am

I think that this is a good thing that this parent talked about this issue with her kids and said she’s talked about these things with them in the past. Not many people talk about these things or let alone see them as an issue because we live in the suburbs until they happen.

18. Jacob Chisholm on January 20th, 2017 10:20 am

I really liked how you got two different sources from the school that the incident happened at and that you were able to find a teacher who has kids that go there too because a parent perspective is always interesting in these situations. Also the picture really depicted how the story was going to be told by illuminating the candy.

19. Marie Smazil on January 20th, 2017 2:43 pm

I think that this was a very informative article on an event that is relative to our lives. I liked that it incorporated different perspectives and that it teaches people to be more aware of their surroundings.

• Gummy bear drug bust breaks balance at Naperville North

BREAKING NEWS

Mandatory attendance at the 2019 Spirit Week Assembly

BREAKING NEWS

With petition ready to sign, Kling aims to ban corporal punishment

DGS

Darien discusses referendum, Sterigenics at city council meeting

BREAKING NEWS

Anti abortion demonstrators protest outside of DGS

BREAKING NEWS

Sexual harassment training is state wide

BREAKING NEWS

Seniors play prank at the holiday concert

BREAKING NEWS

DGN alumni group advocates for changes in District 99

DGS

Why the food is off the ‘Charts’

DGS

DGS marching band to not attend the crosstown football game

BREAKING NEWS

May 18, 2018