• March 20Respect Week (March 18-22)

• March 20One Acts Take Place on March 21-22 at 7 p.m.

• March 20Spring Break 2019 Begins Monday, March 25

Hinsdale South student charged with six felonies after threatening Hinsdale South High School

After finding explosives, weapons and a Nazi uniform in the possession of a student from Hinsdale South, police arrested him for eight felonies on Oct. 5. for making threats to the Hinsdale South High School. The student is set to stand in front of a judge Oct. 19, and this is still an ongoing investigation.

According to the Chicago Tribune, the student allegedly called it the “Southocaust.” The student was making threats through Snapchat and to a specific student. A student reported these threats to the high school, and police were called.

Students from Hinsdale South are questioning their safety because of the threat to the school.

Hinsdale South senior Bailey Zvonik shares his feelings about the event.

“It’s just a little unsettling knowing that this is happening where I go to school. I feel like I should be watching it on my TV about someone else, it’s just unreal to think it actually happened,” Zvonik said.

This occurrence has caused a stir outside of the school as well.

The threat hits close to home for DGS sophomore Justin Yang because his sister, senior Judy Yang, attends Hinsdale South.

“Now I’m afraid. Will our school be next? Will someone be crazy enough to do the same thing that happened at Judy’s school? You used to only hear about these accidents but now you are starting to hear more about it. I’m not to sure, are you supposed to be worried going to school now or not,” Justin Yang said.

Despite the concern from students and the surrounding areas, Hinsdale South’s administration is following procedures for such an event.

As the news came out, the school sent out an email to all parents and staff informing them of what was going on at the moment. In the email, the District mentioned that Hinsdale South students and staff are safe, and school can operate on a normal schedule.

Commander with Darien Police, Gerry Piccoli, gives an update on the active investigation.

“The young man is still being held in a juvenile detention facility in Cook County. He is due to go back in front of a judge next week, Oct. 19. As far as that goes, it is still an active investigation. We are still continuing to follow up on active leads that have developed since that time,” Piccoli said.

7 Comments

7 Responses to “Hinsdale South student charged with six felonies after threatening Hinsdale South High School”

1. Sam Gabbard on January 18th, 2017 8:31 am

Well written, and the use of quotes was well implemented.

2. Lindsay Morton on January 18th, 2017 10:33 am

This article is very informative about many things occurring more often throughout the community. The use of quotes was very informative about how students and people in the community are feeling about this incident.

3. Alan Le on January 18th, 2017 10:35 am

It seems scary that something like this could happen at Hinsdale South which is not that far from DGS. It’s the kind of stuff you see in the news on the television but to think it happened so close is unnerving. Makes you think if this could happen to other schools as well. Are there safety procedures in such an event? Is our safety ensured?

4. Kyle Kotula on January 18th, 2017 10:54 am

This is very unsettling as the people in the article described. I am glad they were able to stop him before the threat became real as he had a lot of weapons that were confiscated.

5. Ryan Nicol on January 18th, 2017 11:02 am

I thought this article was very informative, and I’m glad to see that they stopped him before he was able to carry out his plan and bring him into a juvenile detention center.

6. Lauren Kelly on January 18th, 2017 11:03 am

This is a terrible thing that happened to a school so close to DGS but it is a lesson everyone can learn from because it takes place throughout the country, we may just not hear too much about it. It was a very well written essay stating important facts!

7. Lauren Arquilla on April 19th, 2018 11:27 am

I really liked how you wrote about something important that is going on in the world right now. There are many situations like this happening across the world and it is scary to think that this happened just down the street. The facts stated were very interesting and important to pay attention to!

• Hinsdale South student charged with six felonies after threatening Hinsdale South High School

BREAKING NEWS

Mandatory attendance at the 2019 Spirit Week Assembly

BREAKING NEWS

With petition ready to sign, Kling aims to ban corporal punishment

DGS

Darien discusses referendum, Sterigenics at city council meeting

BREAKING NEWS

Anti abortion demonstrators protest outside of DGS

BREAKING NEWS

Sexual harassment training is state wide

BREAKING NEWS

Seniors play prank at the holiday concert

BREAKING NEWS

DGN alumni group advocates for changes in District 99

DGS

Why the food is off the ‘Charts’

DGS

DGS marching band to not attend the crosstown football game

BREAKING NEWS

May 18, 2018