Special services classrooms better accommodate individual students’ needs

Taylor Despres

Occupational Therapist Nicole Hobus works with multi-needs students in the brand new special services department room, located in D170.

As a part of the Master Facility Plan construction at DGS, the special services classrooms in the first-floor D hallway have been revamped with the addition of classrooms and utilities for the multi-needs students.

Special services teacher Shannon Lahey has been an educator at DGS for ten years. Lahey says that it is the small details in her room that are making a difference.

“The lights are on a dimming switch, so we can dim them throughout the day if we need to. We [also] got a brand new projector that is really interactive for my students, especially when some of them don’t have the functional use of their hands, so it’s really easy for them to go up and touch it with a part of their arm, it will initiate, which is fantastic,” Lahey said.

Lahey and her students are especially grateful for the energy and dedication the builders put into this room to make it the best possible room for them.

“The sensory room is also a big thing that we really needed a designated spot for. [The builders] were very thoughtful in the planning and prepping of that by taking out the announcements and the bell, … so it’s a quiet space with the lighting,” Lahey said.

Occupational therapist Nicole Hobus says that she really enjoys her brand new department room that offers more educational and office space, which is crucial for the students she works with.

“[The main section of the room is] the kitchen area or apartment-style set-up that is mostly used for occupational therapy sessions. It mimics the skills such as cooking, cleaning, daily house chores, so our students get to work on those skills here and work on carrying them over out into the community [with the job coaches provided],” Hobus said.

Students are able to see their full potential in this new room from the handicapped accessible bathrooms, which includes a walk-in shower and a new mat room, which is used for therapy and stretching.

“[Students] haven’t been able to truly see what they are capable of because things haven’t been reachable for them or outlets are too high or sinks aren’t in positioned right,” Hobus said.

Along with the rooms, there have also been additions to the rooms that have not been renovated. These changes have impacted MN students, such as sophomore Eddie Small. 

“I do [like the high-top tables]. The tables have swings [for your feet] on them if you want to sit down and use those footstools. …. It helps me [when I’m fidgety],” Small said. 

Special services teacher Tricia Brawley said that the addition of standing high-top tables with stools is an amazing tool for her and her students.

“Sitting and staring and listening is a hard thing for students to do for a long time, so having that there, it has enhanced our classroom because students are able to attend for longer because they have more options in terms of how they are attending to the information [given],” Brawley said.

Staff members hope that the construction and renovations will enhance the feel of the special services classrooms well into the future for both students and staff.

“We are able to really support some of the needs of our students that we haven’t been able to do so in the past. … We were blessed to have these resources prior, but everything is new and exciting and this can be something we can use for the future to come,” Lahey said.