• April 22Blood Drive on Wednesday, April 24

• April 22Energy Slam on Thursday, April 25

• April 22Cap and Gown Delivery on Tuesday, April 23

Feminism fights for equality, not for superiority

Feminism — It’s a word that seems to be all around us these days, surrounded in a cloak of negative stigma and stereotypes. Feminism has transformed from an empowering movement for equal rights into the punchline of a bad joke. We think that the main cause for feminist-shaming is the misconception about what feminism actually is, and classifying all feminists as extremists.  People don’t even take the time to learn what the word means, and instead just mindlessly mock feminists.

The general public seems to have accepted an implied definition of feminism that skews what the word and beliefs associated with it.  Contrary to popular belief, the word feminism does not imply that women are better than men,  hate men or think they are better than men — it simply means “the belief that women are equal to men.” Everyone should be a feminist, not because it supports women more than men, but because it supports equality.

We handed out surveys on Oct. 20 to various lunch periods asking the students of DGS their gender, if they consider themselves a feminist and what they think a feminist is. The results were baffling.

It is also astounding that 16 percent of students polled — both males and females — wrote the correct definition of feminism is “believing women are equal to men” or anything along the lines of equality and still answered “no.”

The majority of students that were polled did not know the definition of feminism, we got answers including the following: “social studies teachers,” “a conspiracy” and “someone who is a formal person.”

The problem with these answers is that the students genuinely did not know what a feminist is, but we also got answers that had an idea of what feminism was, but associated it with something negative. Some of these answers include:

“bull****,” “saying that periods should be an open conversation,” “women who take being a woman too seriously” and “f*** that.”

However,  most common incorrect definition of feminism was “women who think they’re better than men.” As with any organized group, there are going to be extremists who take the issue too far and warp the original idea to fit their own. Thinking women are better than men is not feminism.

To us the saddest part of the issue is that some women are afraid to stick up for their own gender and their own rights because the stigma surrounding feminism is so overwhelmingly negative. People have fought for years in favor of the equal rights of all races, yet people are looked down upon for fighting for equal rights for all genders.  The biggest concern is that people openly support the unequal rights of men and women.

The Republican senators — including all four women — recently voted against a bill called the Equal Paycheck Act. The purpose of this bill is to make it easier for women to know if they are being paid less than their male counterparts. Men and women alike are still doing things that set women back instead of making progress towards equality.

A lot of times people that  jump on the bandwagon and don’t take the time to educate themselves. They will bash feminism and equal rights to fit in, even if they truly believe something different. We saw this without fail when we were handing out surveys.  People were laughing with their friends and putting down answers that they might not even really believe.

It seems like there is a general theme with our generation these days — turning things that aren’t funny into the most popular jokes.

Everyone at DGS should support the equal rights of every human being — of every gender. Equality is a basic human right, and the fact that it is 2015 and people are still against equal rights is incredibly problematic and frankly, astounding. But we, the students of DGS, can be the generation that supports and fights for not only the equality of women, but the equality of everyone.

Be knowledgeable. Be for equality. Be a feminist.

femcartoon

14 Comments

14 Responses to “Feminism fights for equality, not for superiority”

1. Kostas Kriauciunas on January 28th, 2016 8:13 am

As well as the editorial has been written, I still believe that we have established equal rights for females. We should not
    be fighting for equal rights for women because they already have them, we should fight for something that doesn’t exist
    yet but we could make it happen.

2. Alessandra on January 28th, 2016 11:26 am

I totally agree!

3. Danielle Jones on January 28th, 2016 8:19 am

I agree with this 100%, there are many students at DGS who are not educated on what a feminist actually is. Not only that, but I have seen boys who walk around the halls wearing a shirt saying “meninist” which is a complete mockery of feminist. I think this article would be a tab bit better if the author went more in depth with the fact that there are still men and women who don’t think women are equal to men.

4. John O'Gara on January 28th, 2016 8:25 am

I don’t think that feminism is a bad thing, I just think it needs a different word. I feel like the word feminism is leaning towards girls more.

5. Kristen Cottrill on January 28th, 2016 8:27 am

I really liked this article. I’m doing my advocacy project on gender equality and everything I read is about how women are
    looking to gain power when that may be what some people are looking for but most of people just want the rightful
    equality we deserve. This was a great piece and I really support your last paragraph.

6. Pimaa Mintah on January 28th, 2016 8:33 am

I think a common misconception is that people think feminism is about women gaining more rights than men and that is not the case at all. Women are discriminated against everyday and it confuses me how there are people out there that don’t support the equality of women. I’d love to see a society where women are appreciated just as much as men are.

7. Richie Schumann on January 28th, 2016 11:57 am

Very informative and engaging essay on Feminism, a very relevant issue is women’s equality and this nails it and clears up the misconceptions.

8. Amanda on January 28th, 2016 11:59 am

I really liked how this was written. It explained what feminism is and the misconceptions people have about it. A lot of people don’t know the true definition of feminism and just assume they don’t support it because they don’t know what it is.

9. Rylan Dreyer on January 28th, 2016 12:00 pm

I believe that this article is right in targeting those who don’t believe in femininism.
    But, on the other hand don’t women have equal rights to men? In fact, in some cultures and religons, women are in charge of all.
    While I believe that this could be an issue, I have not witnessed it to say in fact that women rights are not the same as mens.
    Maybe when I witness it, I will believe in the movement of feminism.

10. Emily Vicich on January 28th, 2016 12:09 pm

I know way too many people who bash on women and are against feminism because they say we are already equal. Newsflash! We aren’t equal and I know not every boy discriminates against girls and not every girl thinks we are unequal, but it’s the point of just noticing if not everyone feels equal, we aren’t.. especially if a large majority of girls are saying they don’t. Who ever said the saying, “girls will be girls!”? Nobody has. Women are expected to be sweet, kind and loyal.. and whatever men do is just because they’re boys. I love this article and I believe you got your point across very well.

11. Megan Albers on January 28th, 2016 12:20 pm

I agree that people don’t understand the definition of feminism and I think it’s great you are informing them. I also think that people are just too stubborn and close-minded to accept the correct definition because they would first have to admit they are wrong which is very hard for most people.

12. Aniya Garner on February 3rd, 2016 2:44 pm

I think everyone would agree that most people don’t take feminism seriously. They try to make a joke out of it and turn it into something that it’s not when it’s simply women being treated equal to men. It’s a little extreme that some people think a feminist means that women think they are better than men, no one is better than anyone we are all equals

13. Joe Gall on January 18th, 2017 8:42 am

I think this article does a really good job explaining what feminism means and the misconceptions, A big step to changing these misconceptions is to exploit them and explain why they aren’t true, and I think that was done well in this article.

14. Marsey Theologou on April 6th, 2019 2:23 am

I think feminism is not completely accepted coz other cultures don’t accept still even though in Australia . Like if their ex found out they have a relationship they will get badly treated . Like being controlling over the female ex. 🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂

• Feminism fights for equality, not for superiority

Editorials

A spirited fight: Why attendance should be required at DGS assemblies

Editorials

Staff editorial: PDA? No way.

Editorials

Staff editorial: More formal, more effective

Editorials

Internet shaming has become the new form of bullying

Editorials

Why Multicultural Studies is important

Editorials

Administration’s apology leaves students demanding more

Editorials

DGS administration forum fails to hear student voices

Editorials

A small cost for a needed change

Cartoons

Modern Values

Editorials

Class rank elimination: a welcome change