Eman’s Declassified High School Survival Guide

Emmanuelle Copeland

More stories from Emmanuelle Copeland

Issue 5
May 19, 2019
Issue 4
March 22, 2019

Best of luck, babes!

Best of luck, babes!

Emmanuelle Copeland

Best of luck, babes!

Emmanuelle Copeland

Emmanuelle Copeland

Best of luck, babes!

Dear DGS Juniors,

Next year, you’ll be a senior and that’s super exciting. But there are a few things you should know before you get there.

First things first, college.

You may or may not know what to do for applying to college.

To be quite blunt, there is an expectation that you are self-disciplined enough to ask for help if you don’t know how to.

And trust me, you won’t.

But many seniors don’t even know when they need to start the college application process.

The best answer to this is as early as possible.

You may think you know how to write an essay, but you’ve never been taught how to write a college essay.

It’s suddenly goodbye MEL-Cons and hello essay on my deepest, darkest secrets. Or, alternatively, hello to a cutesy, quirky story on my thoughts on mugs, pugs and lightning bugs — you know?

You’ll need to spill your guts, get personal and make a college admissions board like you.

This either sucks or is a lot of fun, so be prepared to start it early to prepare yourself.

One of the worst things that can happen is never knowing if you could make it into your dream school because you didn’t give it your all.

And if you try hard and get denied, then maybe that wasn’t the best place for you.

Now here’s some advice on choosing a college.

It sucks. There will be pros and cons to all of them. You might not be able to see yourself actually living in any of the places you visit.

I can’t say anything definitive on how to make this decision with all the factors that come into play.

But I can say that you should try to go where you know you won’t feel like you’ve missed out on anything and feel confident in whatever you decide.

It’s a highly personal decision. And even if the answer is that you’re not going to college and decide to join the workforce or the military, that’s absolutely fantastic. So long as you know you want it.

But let’s move on to the next big topic, senioritis.

Is it real? For some, yeah. But I think it’s time we address it logically.

You are almost done with high school. When second semester comes around, there is very little you can do to mess up your future course, assuming that you’re still at the very least passing your classes.

So you might for the very first time in your educational career have an opportunity to actually spend your time learning for you.

You’re still going to be stuck in school, but you’re at a unique point in time where you can prioritize what you want to do.

Join clubs that you care about without worrying how it will look to colleges. Drop that AP class that you have absolutely no interest in. Use resources at the school library and read and learn for fun.

Now, this is not to say that senior year won’t be stressful.

One of the worst responses you will get if you admit your anxieties to other people, including teachers, will be that you shouldn’t care anymore because you’re a senior.

This is a response you will get when confessing absolutely any trouble from bad tests to problems with friends and family.

And it sucks because your feelings are still valid. When you’ve been taught your whole educational career to place your worth in grades, it’s no surprise that it’s become a habit. And even if you’re moving away in college, having strained relationships with people you care about still hurts.

It’s a weirdly hypocritical social cue that’s frustrating as all heck.

But try to find peace in making decisions that make you happy. You really should commit to that.

And that isn’t to say to completely disregard others because that leaves a lot of guilt in its wake. But commit to making each day filled with activities you look forward to.

Finally, let’s talk about friends.

You may or may not have much time left before some of you part ways. But that really isn’t the end.

Don’t act like anyone’s dying. Don’t act like never talking to each other again is inevitable.

The internet exists. So does your phone. It’s not the same, but if you want to stay in contact, you can. And if you don’t, that’s okay too.

You might come to find that you’ve grown up reaching towards different goals with new values that no longer align. If that’s the case, it’s okay to let each other go. And it’s possible to do so without resentment or regrets.

And that’s a wrap. So here’s about a fraction of what you need to know to finish your last year of high school.

Like I’d keep talking, but it’s the last week of school and it’s about time for me to blow this popsicle stand.

So I wish you all the best of luck, though I’m sure you won’t need it.