A forgotten policy

Students can no longer have items dropped off at locations like these.

Teagan Halik

At the start of the 2018-2019 school year, a policy that would not allow any drop-offs to be made at the front desk was put in place.

Parents have always been able to deliver lunches to their students, and years of Jimmy John’s deliveries have never been denied at the front door. Therefore, students were completely shocked when they were told their parents would no longer be able to drop anything off for them.

Although surprised by the ‘new’ policy, it is not actually anything new. The official DGS student handbook has always stated that deliveries such as food, flowers or other items would not be accepted at the front desk. Associate Principal Omar Davis refers to the policy as a ‘forgotten policy’ rather than a new one.

When describing the policy, Davis discussed the goal they were trying to reach with students and staff.

“So one of the things that we try to do is limit distractions for teachers, students, staff members, everyone in the building. So you know, deliveries into the front door, now we have to deliver to a classroom for a student. It kind of becomes a distraction,” Davis said.

According to Davis, the policy has gotten a few complaints.

“It’s change. Any change is different for those families who had made it a practice. That lunch for a particular student is a daily Jimmy John’s delivery. Well, sorry, we’re not gonna do that,” Davis said.

Senior Lizzie Andonova described her conflict with the policy and how it has affected her.

“Last year, I know I used to leave things at home and my sister would bring me my lunch or whatever, but now she can’t do that,” Andonova said.

Other students like Senior Michael Hoes had no problem with the policy change.

“I don’t care. I’ve never had anything dropped off to me before, so it has never really affected me before,” Hoes said.

The policy emphasizes the school’s goal of limiting distractions. Principal Edward Schwartz believes that there is also an enhancement of safety to come with it.

“People at the front door are supposed to be making sure that the place is secure and that the only ones coming in are the ones that should be here, and if they’re spending time accepting deliveries, they’re not doing what they’re supposed to,” Schwartz said.

In the future, DGS plans on keeping the policy enforced, instead of letting it become forgotten again. Davis describes his plan on how he will keep it in full effect.

“It’s just continuing to remind students and parents, at the beginning of the year, we have class talks with our deans and they talk about different policies. Dress code, attendance. You know now, it will be a reminder of, ‘Hey, remember our front door policy, right?’ Non-essential, non-instructional deliveries, we may turn away,” Davis said.