• March 20Respect Week (March 18-22)

• March 20One Acts Take Place on March 21-22 at 7 p.m.

• March 20Spring Break 2019 Begins Monday, March 25

New PE shirts freshen up locker rooms

New PE shirts freshen up locker rooms

Frankie Gordey, Freelance Writer

The start of the new school year at DGS brings many additions to the school, such as the introduction of chromebooks for each student, the removal of quarter grades and, most importantly, the addition of new PE shirts that are helping freshen up the school.

The shirts are navy blue with a columbia blue logo. As well as the new color and design, the shirts are also made of a dri-fit material. Dri-fit material is much lighter and airier than the cotton of the old shirts.

Senior Lexi Dimovski weighed in on the new PE shirts.

“I think it’s cuter than the old one. The design is nice and they just look newer and more appealing than the ugly, old grey cotton shirts,” Dimovski said.

The new PE shirts have also seemed to freshen up the scent of the locker room where most students keep their shirts throughout the week.

PE teacher Dustin Hausherr has noticed a drastic change in the overall freshness of the boy’s locker room this year.

“Overall I think the locker room smells a lot better this year compared to last year… Whenever I go in [the locker room] this year I’m not almost throwing up from the smell,” Hausherr said.

Along with Hausherr, senior Ty McCulloch shared his thoughts on the smell of the new shirts.

“I’d say it smells better than last year because the dri-fit shirts absorb the sweat better. With the grey cotton ones they were always smelly and always wet which made it smell worse. The new dri-fit ones dry out quickly,” McCulloch said.

As for the girls locker room, senior Emma Hartenberger is in Individual Skill Sports with Mrs. Degiulio and goes in the locker room every day during fifth period.

“The smell of the locker room this year smells much better than last year. I wouldn’t say it smells like roses but it definitely smells better,” Hartenberger said.     
The switch to the new PE shirts has had a very positive response by students as well as the teachers. The design as well as the dri-fit material have freshened up the locker rooms at DGS.

9 Comments

9 Responses to “New PE shirts freshen up locker rooms”

1. Richie Schumann on October 23rd, 2015 12:14 pm

This was a well written article with a good and diereses selection of sources, also it was interesting to read other people’s opinions, I think there should’ve been a source that didn’t like the new shirts though.

2. Kristen Cottrill on January 28th, 2016 8:15 am

Well written article. I actually disagree with them. I lifeguard here and they absorb the smell of the chlorine. I find it always smells like a pool. And if it gets wet it smells even worse. I have to wash it almost every night for it not to smell I traded it in for the old cotton shirts.

3. Samantha Ruiz on November 2nd, 2015 11:23 am

Where was this idea before? I think south is finally catching up to what this school needed. And those shirts were definitely a great addition. Hopefully this is the start of other great additions that South will implement.

4. Kasey Chang on November 2nd, 2015 11:28 am

I liked the different perspectives from those that are in the locker rooms the most often. I liked how the article focused on the change from last year to this year and the comparison between the two because it paints a better picture of how things are different.

5. Analy Martinez on November 2nd, 2015 11:30 am

I completely agree that the smell is not as strong as it was last year. Especially, during the beginning of the school year and there was a lot of humidity.

6. Parker Mannella on November 2nd, 2015 11:31 am

I agree with the article that Frankie wrote, I definitely feel like the locker room smell has changed drastically since the style of P.E shirt changed. I specifically like what Hartenberger had to say about the locker room “not smelling like roses” but it still did make a change. Maybe in my eyes not much of a change but it is nice to see some improvement.

7. John Marano on November 2nd, 2015 11:36 am

I think the new P.E. shirts smell ten times worse than the old ones and after a couple days you have to wash them.

8. Rachel Buonauro on November 2nd, 2015 11:37 am

I really enjoy the look of the new uniforms and also the fact that they really don’t smell as bad as the old ones! The only thing that is weird about them is the fact that the head hole is so small and it’s hard to stretch it out, however I still love the change.

9. Bailey Westbrook on November 2nd, 2015 11:39 am

Although I am not in a gym class this year. I know from experience that dri-fit shirts do a much better job of absorbing sweat and are even more comfortable when working out. For this reason I agree that the change in gym shirts was a good switch that school decided to implement.

• New PE shirts freshen up locker rooms

News

Downers Grove village council is awarded for stormwater management at March 19 meeting

• News

School Board meeting: March 18

• New PE shirts freshen up locker rooms

News

Comedy central: Tate captures state title for speech

• New PE shirts freshen up locker rooms

News

The DGS speech team: A legacy and a tradition

• New PE shirts freshen up locker rooms

News

Village of Woodridge bimonthly board meeting passes rezoning resolution

• New PE shirts freshen up locker rooms

News

Weekly Preview: March 4 – 8

• New PE shirts freshen up locker rooms

News

Weekly Preview: Feb. 25-March 1

• New PE shirts freshen up locker rooms

Galleries

Feb. 22 Spirit assembly: Photo gallery

• New PE shirts freshen up locker rooms

BREAKING NEWS

Mandatory attendance at the 2019 Spirit Week Assembly

• New PE shirts freshen up locker rooms

News

DGS Chess competes at state tournament

New PE shirts freshen up locker rooms