A survival guide for the last week of school

More stories from Lauren Smith

So. Close. Must. Survive. One. More. Week.

As the weather warms up and the classwork winds down, most students find it nearly impossible to continue attending school. Internal motivation is nonexistent and the drive to succeed has hit a wall, leaving every student tired, bored and uninterested in anything school related.

As a result, we are forced to resort to elementary forms of entertainment and motivation in a desperate attempt to maintain consciousness throughout the school day. Below are some ideas and activities to assist students in their quest to survive the remaining days of school.

1.Fidget spinners

These little toys, though seemingly childish and pointless, have proven to provide hours of endless fun. Just flicking the plastic disks and watching them spin can keep your hands moving and your eyes open through any boring spiel.

2. Doodling

Although those worksheets and handouts no longer hold any value to most students, they do serve as a decent canvas. Now is the opportunity to hone your artistic abilities throughout each never ending period. Keep your pencil and mind busy and you just might appear engaged in whatever class you’re in.

3. Origami

Another productive utilization of all those unnecessary handouts would be origami. Feel free to craft those papers into mini boats, hats, airplanes or swans– anything to keep yourself awake. You can then gift these masterpieces to your teacher as an apology for not paying attention.

4. Dress up

The temptation to mimic your mood with comfy, lazy clothes is inevitable, but I advise students to avoid the slob look. By dressing nice, you not only lessen the chance of falling asleep in class, but you give yourself a reason to come to school– show off the cute outfit. Most don’t notice it, but nice clothes tend to subtly boost the wearer’s mood and increase alertness.

5. Game pigeon

Keep in touch with friends throughout class with the game pigeon app. This will keep you alert as you wait for your next turn in pool, cup pong or connect four. The mental stimulation sustained through these games might even carry over into your classwork… maybe.

6. Peruse the yearbook

Now that the yearbook is out, the never ending down time that is school can be occupied by flipping through the 260 pages of pictures and memories. Entertain yourself by scanning the many ridiculous senior quotes.

7. Eat

Pack plenty of snacks to eat throughout the day. Food is always the best way to maintain consciousness and a good mood. Whether you are tired, bored or annoyed in class, snacks are always the answer.